Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ntvedt Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrade video graphics card and power supply for HP p7-1423w desktop pc

HP p7-1423w desktop pc
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I downloaded the online game Overwatch but it crashes on my HP Pavilion p7-1423w desktop pc. I want to upgrade the video graphics card and power supply but need to know if the following devices are compatible with my desktop pc.

• I want to upgrade to the NVIDIA GE Force   GTX 660 video graphics card.  Is this compatible with my HP Pavilion p7-1423w desktop pc
  • I also want to upgrade to a 520 Watt or 450 Watt power supply.   What brand and what is the highest wattage is compatible with my HP Pavilion p7-1423w desktop pc? 

In other words, what is the latest version of a NVIDIA or AMD Radeon HD card highest Watt power supply can I upgrade to that is compatible with my HP?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
20226 2216 7331
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ntvedt, welcome to the forum.

ntvedt wrote:

I downloaded the online game Overwatch but it crashes on my HP Pavilion p7-1423w desktop pc. I want to upgrade the video graphics card and power supply but need to know if the following devices are compatible with my desktop pc.

• I want to upgrade to the NVIDIA GE Force   GTX 660 video graphics card.  Is this compatible with my HP Pavilion p7-1423w desktop pc  Yes, this video card should be compatible with your motherboard.  You can choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.  I like EVGA.  Their Tech Support (1-888-881-3842) is very helpful.

• I also want to upgrade to a 520 Watt or 450 Watt power supply.   What brand and what is the highest wattage is compatible with my HP Pavilion p7-1423w desktop pc?  There is no actual maximum PSU that will work in your computer.  The computer will only use the amount of wattage that is required to run it properly.  The extra wattage is used during peak power needs.  I suggest that you buy a PSU with at least 500W.  I like Corsair products.  A modular PSU is good in smaller cases.  They allow you to use only the cables that are absolutely necessary.  This makes for better airflow.

In other words, what is the latest version of a NVIDIA or AMD Radeon HD card highest Watt power supply can I upgrade to that is compatible with my HP?  See my answers above.

Thanks.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K; 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Provost
8933 1170 3065
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

More information on your exact machine specs are required to help you.

Here are the generic specs on your  machine.  Look at the page, and then check your machine.  What processor and how many GB of motherboard RAM are installed?  8 GB was the base install. You can go here and use their "Can I Run It" module. As you will note, an I-5 670 is the minimum recommended processor.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

Loaner: Envy Omen Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 7th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M 8GB Discrete Graphics (16GB RAM) 512GB m.2 SSD
HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme8GB, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation