Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 500-164
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavillion 500-164. I upgraded to a Corsair PSU and a Nvidia GTX 750 quite a while ago. Those are still working great.

I just purchased a set of Corsair RAM off Amazon (Amazon Link) and installed it Friday. I know it isn't the best quality RAM but it does meet the upgrade guidlines on the Pavilions page.  Everything was fine and dandy Friday and Saturday.

This morning I boot my PC and it doesn't even display the HP logo. Just a black screen. I restarted it and it got to the login screen. Logged into Windows fine. About 30 seconds after, it gives me a BSOD with no info on it, just a QR code, which just took me to a page about BSOD screens. How helpful lol.

I booted into the BIOS and ran a couple Memtests, all failed. When I look at the Components > Memory bios screen, slots 1,2, & 3, show up fine. Slot 4 on the other hand shows up as unnsupported.

16409534_1427748817258783_2035059922_o.jpg

16409348_1427748880592110_520179875_o.jpg

Both CPUz and Task Manager show 32GB. Everything looks fine from Windows.  I rebooted the PC and have not encountered any errors, but the BIOS still shows slot 4 as unssupported.

Does this sound like a fluke or a problem with the RAM? I can easily get a refund with Amazon if I need to on the RAM.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Assuming the CPUz is the third party software by CPUID, does it identify the module correctly?  I would run a Memtest routine from outside of Windows to verify it is good.  You can make a selfbooting CD to do that.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

OR use Ultimate Boot CD which also makes a selfbooting CD to run memtest and other routines, too

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I'll run a memtest on it and post the results. Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.