cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
LuthierMark
Level 1
16 12 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Upgrading CPU on HP Envy 1414 Angelica 2 motherboard

HP Recommended
HP Envy 1414
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade the CPU in my HP Envy 1414. The specs for the motherboard on this page Motherboard Specs say that the socket used is an AM3-b type. It also says that I can use the FX-8350 CPU, which is available, but specs for the FX-8350 say it uses an AM3+ socket. This is confusing, and some things I have read say these two sockets are not the same. Can someone give me the info I need to go forward?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,620 24,272 2,834 10,360
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From what I have read, the AM3+ is the same as the black AM3b socket.  If you read the entire Processor upgrade section in the link that you provided, you will see that they are both referred to in the information.

If you look at the socket it should have a AM3b unless HP doesn't lable them.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
LuthierMark
Author
Level 1
16 12 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, that seems a bit confusing! But I do see each one referenced, and the CPUs they list must work with the motherboard. So, I'll bite the bullet and give it a shot. A couple more questions, if you will. Do you think there would be a significant difference in speed from something like the FX-8120, to an FX-8350? I see Ebay has some other CPUs there, but all that seems to be available new is the 8350.

I do video editing, and any one of the 8000 series would I hope be a great improvement over the FX-6120 I have there now.

I am confident that I can handle the actual hardware part of the upgrade- is that all I will have to do? I won't have to update the BIOS or anything like that? Just plug in the new one and I am done?

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,620 24,272 2,834 10,360
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are very welcome.

There is a BIOS update for your motherboard.  However, it doesn't mention anything about being required for a processor upgrade.  Normally, the processors listed should upgrade without a BIOS update.  If you do the update, be very carefully.  A failed BIOS update can not be reversed in most instances.

The main thing when doing a processor upgrade is to touch bare metal in the case before touching any of the components.  This will remove any static electricity (ESD) from your body.  Also, be certain to add the appropriate amount of thermal paste (compound).  Here is a good guide.  There are numerous guides on the Internet to help you with the install, also.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
ldme6
2 1 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just upgraded my Angelica board to a amd 8350-I made sure i uploaded the latest bios for the board first and then installed it...seems to be working great-Lots better  than my old 6120, only problem is there is no AMD hold down bracket on the board for a new fan-the 8350 runs alot hotter and I can't find a bracket that size to put a largercoolmaster fan on..

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation