cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Tomasing
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrading Graphic Card, Need HELP!

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a pc recently, I'm wondering what are the compatible Graphic cards and Ram for my pc.

Pc model: HP pavilion 550-132d

Motherboard: HP 2B47

Processor: Intel Core i5 6400 2.70 Ghz

Ram: 4 GB DDR3

Graphic Card: NVIDIA Geforce GT 730 DDR3

I'm thinking of upgrading it to a better graphics like GTX 660 or GTX 730 ti, but i'm not sure if that will be compatible. Please help. Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 450 845
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @Tomasing,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.  I understand that you are looking for help with a graphics card and memory upgrade.  I am happy to help with this.

I cannot make a specific recommendation for a graphics card, but I can give you some guidelines and things to be aware of. Looking at the HP Pavilion 550-132d Desktop PC Product Specifications and HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - motherboard specifications, Odense, about memory your system specifications say:

Dual channel memory architecture

•Two 240-pin DDR3L DIMM sockets

•Supports the following:

•PC3L-12800 (DDR3L-1600)

•PC3L-10600 (DDR3L-1333)

•Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB DIMMs

•Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems

Note: 32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

•Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers

Information relevant to a graphics card you should make note of:

Expansion slots 
•One PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0)

•One PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0)

•One M.2 socket 1, key A

Power Supply

Internal 300 W PSU

So you need to be sure that any graphics card choice does not have a minimum power requirement exceeding the capacity of your power supply. Also you will want to make note of any supplementary power connections required and make sure your power has those available. The card must be able to use one of the expansion slots on the motherboard, and it must actually be available. The likely choice is the PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) slot.  If the card you prefer does not fit into those parameters you will need to either find one that does, or look at a broader upgrade, probably to include a power supply with greater capacity that can fit in the space.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Tomasing
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much, truely helped me alot! I have a spare video card, a GTX 660 but it has a minimum power supply of 450 watts. Will it run properly in my pc and/or is it safe? What are the possible outcomes if I use GTX 660 on my pc with only 300 watts power supply? And i'm currently using a PSU.

0 Kudos
Tomasing
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also, what Power Supply can be compatible with my pc. Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Tomasing
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And also, what Power Supplies are compatible with my pc. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
7,692 7,685 423 589
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Tomasing, welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 

I understand that you wanted to know the power supplies that is compatible with your computer.

The minimum system power requirement is 450 W and the power supply on your computer is 300 W. Hence, it is not compatible.

You may also check the link: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/specifications

Disclaimer:
Links to third-party websites are provided for convenience only. HP does not endorse nor support the content of third-party links. HP is not responsible for the content of a third-party website. By clicking on a third-party link, you will leave the HP website. Privacy and security policies may differ from those practiced by HP. 

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Regards,

Rainbow23
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the Accept as Solution button, Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
10,502 10,334 1,402 3,890
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

An excellent PSU choice would be the Corsair CX600.  All PSU's have what is called an efficiency curve.  The CX600 will only supply what is needed, thus it's idling with less stress.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation