cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
39 26 2 5
Message 11 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the product support home page of your product -

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01174518

Here is the Power Calculation of your PC -

1. CPU = Magnificent power consumption, only 30-35 watt on full load, and 5-6 watt when cool and quiet enabled

reference: http://www.ciao.co.uk/AMD_Sempron_3600_2_GHz_processor__Review_5686264

2. Hard Drive = 20 Watts

3. 1 RAM Chip = 10 Watts

4. Optical Drive = 20 Watts

5. Nvidia Chipset + OnBoard Devices ( LAN + Modem + Audio) = 65 Watts

6. Add 5 Watts for each USB device you attach to your system

Now if you have Power Supply of 250 Watts. And if you add the above all you will get :

CPU                   = 35

HDD                   = 20

CD/DVD R/RW    = 20

RAM                   = 30                     ( Since each chip requires 10 Watts and you have 2.5, if you have 2 GB + 512 Mbs then 20 Watts else  30 Watts )

Onboard Devices  = 65                     ( This Includes Nvidia Chipset + OnBoard Devices )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Power Consumption = 170 Watts     

In the above total Power Consumption, I am assuming you have not modified your original system configuration and you are not using any USB device.

Now, as per my research and experience the following cards can fit into your system without Power Supply Upgrades -

1. Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS/GT

2. Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT

3. Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT

All the above will consume maximum of 50 Watts at their max load.

So, if you add 50 Watts to 170 Watts you will get 220 Watts. And your Power Supply is 250 Watts

By doing so you are putting 88% Power Load on your Power Supply.

Now, if you want to play games for more than half an hour continously then I will suggest you to upgrade your power supply to atleast 350 Watts. If like me you will play games for 15 to 20 minutes and close the game as soon at the GPU temp reaches to 55 degrees then you may stick to the 250 Watts PSU.

Remember one thing (even if you will upgrade your Power Supply), never over clock your GPU clocks (Core/Memory/Shader).

Looking forward to hear from you !!!

Regards,

ErSehmi

HP Pavilion dv6516tx Intel Core 2 Duo T5250, 2 GB DDR2, 160 GB Segate SATA, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS, WLAN, Media Center Remote, Authentec Finger Print Reader, Windows 7 Ultimate OEM.
HP Pavilion m9430in Inter Core 2 Duo E7300, 4 GB DDR2, 1.5 TB Segate SATA, Nvidia GeForce 9300 LE, WLAN, Integrated DVB-T TV Tuner Card with Remote, WIreless KeyBoard - Mouse, HP 2309m LCD TFT, Windows 7 Home Premium OEM.
HP Pavilion p6040in Inter Core 2 Duo E7400, 3 GB DDR2, 500 GB Segate SATA, Nvidia GeForce 7100 LE, LAN, WIreless KeyBoard - Mouse, HP 2009f LCD TFT, Windows 7 Home Basic OEM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
34 28 0 4
Message 12 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have decided to go with this video card http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4465552&CatId=3670

and this power supply http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5371861&sku=S19-4040

Will these work with my current computer or do they not, i dont know enough about computers to know what will work but i belive maybe with some videos online i can install them

it says pciE 1.0 x16 compatible so will i be able to run video card?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
39 26 2 5
Message 13 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, both are good, both will run perfectly with your system. Even, I have chosen the same nvidia geforce 9500 gt by Palit.

Go ahead, and instal them into your system.

For replacing Power Supply check this link -

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684432

For replacing/adding new graphics cards check this link -

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01177594

Please feel free to ask, if you find any issues. Go ahead, and instal them into your system.

Thanks & Regards,

ErSehmi

Message Edited by Arshvinder on 12-03-2009 09:41 PM
HP Pavilion dv6516tx Intel Core 2 Duo T5250, 2 GB DDR2, 160 GB Segate SATA, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS, WLAN, Media Center Remote, Authentec Finger Print Reader, Windows 7 Ultimate OEM.
HP Pavilion m9430in Inter Core 2 Duo E7300, 4 GB DDR2, 1.5 TB Segate SATA, Nvidia GeForce 9300 LE, WLAN, Integrated DVB-T TV Tuner Card with Remote, WIreless KeyBoard - Mouse, HP 2309m LCD TFT, Windows 7 Home Premium OEM.
HP Pavilion p6040in Inter Core 2 Duo E7400, 3 GB DDR2, 500 GB Segate SATA, Nvidia GeForce 7100 LE, LAN, WIreless KeyBoard - Mouse, HP 2009f LCD TFT, Windows 7 Home Basic OEM.

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
34 28 0 4
Message 14 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

THANKS ! i have made my decision and this is what i will get very cheap for under hundred dollars including shipping, ill just have to wait for christmas but this will allow me to play so many games even though my processor is 2.0 ghz but that is fine. THANKS! a bunch for links above to, now my computer will finally be good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 15 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there!  I desperately need help!  I bought my husband the HP Pavilion Slimline s5213w-b desktop bundle, and I was told the graphics card in it (A GeForce 6150SE nForce 430) won't run the game he wants for Christmas! (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2) My question is: What card should I get and should I worry about the power supply thingy? (He will most definately play longer than 20 minutes! More like a few HOURS! LOL) Thanks so much for  your help in advance!!

~Izahere

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
34 28 0 4
Message 16 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, i changed from sparkle to evga also finding the sparkle wouldn't have worked because i use VGA.

Anyways Iza your computers power supply so u need to upgrade that to atleast 350-450W for a  decent video card. On some reviews the video card i am getting can probably play cod4 on high or medium graphics. But how much are you willing to spend up to becasue you could get a very expensive video card, i am spending under 100 dollars. Also is he looking for high graphics and Great performance or just small-medium performance and cheap.

i will be using this i believe unless i change my mind, EVGA 9500 Video Card 1gb memory

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 17 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi. I've been using HP Notebook PC for three years. Is it possible to upgrade the video card to nvidia geforce 6600 gt 128mb? Thanks! I soooo wanted to play Dragon Age, but I don't want to buy a new laptop for now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
51 45 2 5
Message 18 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will post a link from Antec, one of the best power supplies for the PC.  Here you can (close enough) find out, truly, what your power requirements are.  It does not matter what the video card, etc., says you need.  It is what that card draws from the system.

Once you put all things you have together on this site, you will get a pretty accurate count of your true power requirements.  For example, I have a PSU rated at 300 Watts max.  So to save power, I have taken out the modem card, the network card, etc. since I do not use them.  They still draw power while inserted in the slot.

I have a Quad Core Q6600 CPU (dual or quad counts as a single socket), GeForce 9800 GT video card, 15 card reader, I am using 2 USB ports all the time (it is not how many you have.  It's how many are being used) 1 SATA HD, 1 DVD-RW/CD/RW combo, there is 1 fan in the system ( CPU), ATX motherboard, 4 sticks of memory ( how many, not how many GB you have).  Leave recommended settings alone.

My wattage requirement for my set up is 243 watts.  Even though the video card says that I need a PSU of 400 watts, it has been running fine and cool for over 6 months.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
49 49 0 1
Message 19 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One thing I want to add when you're shopping for a graphics card is to be careful that you don't buy a card that is physically too large for your machine! Although your PC my spec to run it, that doesn't mean that it will fit inside when you get it home. Do some checking around inside your machine before you buy. My boyfriend is a pro, but made this mistake and then couldn't return the card, so he's ended up hanging on to it until he gets his next new computer.

HP dv7-1285dx, upgraded to Windows 7 November, 2009 and now loving her computer again!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
51 45 2 5
Message 20 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is some help.  Click on the link below.  I posted that so all users with Slimlines have something to go on.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware/Slimlines-and-video-cards/td-p/186902

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation