cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jasko1491
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Upgrading HP Pavilion 500-214 Desktop for Gaming

HP Pavilion 500-214
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi,

Thanks for reading/helping first off. So I want to upgrade my home pc to do some gaming. Games I want to play are Total War Attila at Quality settings, World of Tanks with some HD stuff turned on, and Skyrim at High/Ultra. Generally speaking I want to run these games at 35+ FPS with graphics turned up a bit. The PC specs are here.

Right now the intergrated card just works for running at min settings for these games. I want to upgrade this pc if I can instead of going out of my way to build a new one from scratch. I bought this PC for school a few years back, would like to keep him around.

I have looked into some graphics cards to upgrade the PC but I am not sure about which PSU I would need to buy to replace the old 300 watt one. Below are some of the graphic cards I have researched and am considering. Could you tell me if the graphics card would fit, what a good psu would be for it (must fit), and if I would need any addtion things (like cables).

I dont expect extremely high end gaming expirence, but I know whatever graphics card I buy will be dramatically better then the integrated one. I do have a budget of $300.

GTX 750 Ti

Here

Read alot of good reviews about this little guy. I know its dated but I've read that it goes well with home systems like this because of its low power use. I am lead to believe I wouldnt need to touch the PSU at all. It also would fit most likely. This is also the most affordable cost, and doesnt need the $300 budget. However, I dont think it would run Attila at Quality with 35+ fps. 

EVGA GTX 960 + Rosewill Valens 500W

GC: Here

PSU: Here

This seems like a great leap from the GTX 750 Ti and its definitly in my budget. Research says it would need around 400W PSU to run, so upgrade is necessary here. Will these PSU and GC fit in my system? Let me know please.

XFX R9 280X + XFX Core Edition PRO850W

GC: Here

PSU: Here

This combo is probably the best I can afford at the moment. From research, the 280X should easily meet my graphical needs. However the power consumption is greater then the other two. People have recommended a 500W one, but the specs state a recommended 850W. Who is correct? Will these PSU and GC fit in my system? Let me know please.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you greatly.

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

firstly,about the 750ti, its a beast(by my definition)...ive played witcher 3 and ac unity at high settings 35+fps with it...nuff said..

and since you say you dont need an 'extremely high end gaming expirence', it would be pretty stupid to spend on anything above the 750ti..(and yeah its not dated...it only came out last year)

as to the psu,dont look beyond a corsair or antec...a corsair 650 w modular is my recommendation,full and final...

as ive been telling people for the last 5 years, avoid amd...it produces far more heat and uses up a lot more power than their nvidia counterparts...unless you have a highly ventilated cooler master or zebronics case and are prepared to pay a hefty electricity bill, avoid the 280x...the 960 is better than that

dont worry about fitting...the 750ti is a 5.7 inch card(unless you go for the MSI TF one)...so its pretty small...the other two are 10 inches +(unless you get a small form factor 960)...

from what i see, you dont need anything more than the 750ti...if you want more power then the 960...but please avoid the 280x...what you'll save now in cost you'll end up spending (more) on bills,buying thermal pastes and whatnot..

(PS-atilla is a poorly optimized game...even a 980 sli has trouble running it on ultra...so dont think youll get ultra with what you've listed....but a 750 ti will do fine on tweaked high)

Hope this helps

Did this reply resolve your post or question?

If yes, then share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution.
You can also show your appreciation by giving kudos.

jasko1491
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for posting and yes it does help. I didnt expect Ultra settings for Attilla, just as you said, High with tweaks etc. 

Given all the consensus I did go with the GTX 750ti SC (the one fan one) and ordered it. Since I had some extra money, decided to get a gaming mouse (Logitech G502 Proteus Core).  Is that 650w Corsair modular a recommendation for this card or can I sit on the 300w I have now?

I plan on just waiting till Black Friday/Cyber Monday and save around $800 to build my own pc and just use this one for some light-mid gaming. Once November comes,  Ill move this guy to my downstairs, setup a wireless keyboard/mouse and connect it to my tv to use from my coach.  But thanks for the input.

0 Kudos
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

you're very welcome..

recommendation for this card is a 400w...the systems that can run the 750ti on a 300w psu are intel based...mostly...amd processors have higher power needs...use a system power consumption calculator (available on the net)...if the total power your pc needs(with the 750ti) is less than 300 then dont change the psu...but if you have to then get a 650w as it'll be good enough for your future rig...(i can help you with that too since ive been building pc's for the last 8 years)

Hope this helps

If yes, then share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution.

jasko1491
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

From using the site below, its reading 258w. Im not sure if i put in everything correctly. Do I count the fans such as on the CPU or back? I dont have my cpu overclocked i think.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

System Type:   1 physical CPU   Motherboard:   Desktop   CPU Socket:   Not Sure - Show All CPUs   CPU:   AMD A8-6500 3500 MHz Richland   CPU Utilization (TDP):   90% TDP           RAM:   1 Module DDR3 SDRAM   Video Card 1:   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti  

ATTENTION: FOR PERSONAL, NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY

Regular SATA:   1 HDD           M.2 SSD:   1 Drive   DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive:   1 Drive           USB:   3 Devices           Keyboard and mouse:   Yes           System Load:   90 %               Minimum PSU Wattage:   208 Watts   Recommended Wattage:   258 Watts

0 Kudos
Highlighted
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

yeah i had a go at extreme calculator too....shows 220w usage with everything included...you're good to go

Hope this helps

jasko1491
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the help. Ill post back after I recieve the parts and install the graphics card. On a side note, I believe this PC is UEFI (?). I read somewhere I had to disable this to install a new video card. Is there a thread where i can be shown this process?

0 Kudos
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

go through this-http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio-Video-Monitors/Graphics-Card-Upgrade/td-p/4994186

look for my reply( no 12 on page 2)

and yes,your pc is UEFI enabled

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
jasko1491
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Well the card finally arrived guys! So here was my process and my results. 

Came in today; Unpacked everything, bought some duster cans to clean the fans a bit. I first restarted my computer and hit f10 and enabled legacy support. I turned off the computer,  unplugged everything, and waited for the green bulb on the back to stop glowing (hoping to dispurse any remnant electricty). 

I opened up the case and dusted out the fans and cpu. I took out the graphics card, plugged it into the pcie and then reassembled the case.  Plugged in everything and put in my dvi to vga converter then plugged in the vga to the graphics card. Turned on the pc (went fine), had to install the drivers and update for it to fix the resolution to 1900x1080p. After several restarts to make sure everything was fine, I started testing the games.

Skyrim first, ran near flawlessly with all settings on. Shogun 2 with everything on ran near flawlessly, though had some graphical glitches occur which means i have to tweak or something. Rome 2 ran on Ultra at 30+ fps, which was great. Attila we struggled with however, maybe because its poorly optimized or maybe card just doesnt cut it, but have to set it to performance to run at 30 fps. 

Overall, I am happy with the results. I havent tried WoT yet, but I will after this post! Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Follow up questions:

Do i have to keep Legacy Support on always or do i change it back now that i have installed graphics card?

Is there some program you recommend to use to see my computers heat, cpu usage, gpu usage, memory usage, fps, etc while in game that has a nice interface?

0 Kudos
FattysGoneWild
Level 7
724 617 20 111
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

All you had to do was update the bios. HP has one available for your machine here. http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-500-200-Desktop-PC-series/5399647/model/... Then just stick the new card in. You would want to disable the on board video in the bios though as well if using a graphics card. It might auto detect it for you and disable itself. Depends on the bios.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation