cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 11 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Upgrading HP Pavilion 500-214 Desktop for Gaming

yeah keep it in legacy mode...

to see cpu temp you can use RealTemp GT...its the one i use and its easy...for fps its fraps...there a few that show everything together but i dont remember their names...just google 'real time monitoring software' or something like that and you'll find a host of em,mostly good...

Hope this helps

Did this reply resolve your post or question?

If yes, then share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution.
You can also show your appreciation by giving kudos.

0 Kudos
FattysGoneWild
Level 7
724 617 20 111
Message 12 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Suggestion. You have Windows 8.1 and able to update bios. You seriously need to do that any ways and even HP strongly advises it. It fixes a MAJOR security flaw in UEFI. Why not take advantage of secure boot and make your system more secure? Windows 10 will require it if you plan on moving to it.

Also less work and no adjustments needed. Put it in and go.

0 Kudos
jasko1491
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 13 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

So i downloaded CAM monitoring software. My cpu seams to be running really hot. Idling its running at ~60 c and ~90 c when active. The graphics card is around about 35-45 c so that seems fine.

I do remember changing the temp to read in FH instead C but i cant remember how i did that now (through bios i think), not sure if its messing with the program because of this or my temp is really that high.

If it is that high, do you guys know a good walk through of what to do? Recommendations for thermal paste, how to properly apply, and how to clean the cpu fan. From what I read seems like everyone has their own method.

0 Kudos
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 14 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

whoa!that is too **bleep** hot even for an amd processor...it should never exceed 62,mybe a few degrees more while gaming but thats about it...

if its this high i STRONGLY  recommend an aftermarket cooler...by my opinion a CM HYPER 212 EVO...use a proper thermal paste too for lowering temps by another 7-8 degrees...if you need help with any of this, you just have to ask

Hope this helps

If yes, then share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution.

0 Kudos
jasko1491
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 15 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I thought as much. Yeah help would be appreciated. Never installed a new cpu fan. 

Fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Paste

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ33T2869&cm_re=thermal_paste-_-35-100-007-_-Pr...

read somewhere you should remove the old paste by using a Q-Tip and alchohol before applying the new one, this ok?

0 Kudos
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 16 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

installing a fan is easy...just place it on the cpu and tighten the screws...applying the paste..well,since youre new to this,ill walk you through it-

firstly,rid the cpu and the cooler of the old paste..for this,high-percentage rubbing alcohol will do the job just fine. Just apply a drop or two to the old material and let it sit for a minute while the cleaner breaks up the grease in the thermal paste. Then, wipe it clean with a lint-free cloth.

second,,apply a drop(pea drop) of the paste onto the centre of the cpu... Next, take your cooler and press it straight down onto the CPU so that the thermal paste spreads evenly in all directions...try to get it right the first time as every time you lift up the cooler, you risk adding more air bubbles into the thermal paste, which will lower you coolers efficiency...but your cpu is not oc capable so dont worry too much

and yeah those are the parts youll need

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
FattysGoneWild
Level 7
724 617 20 111
Message 17 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You cant put on a aftermarket cooler like that on. None actually because the way HP makes their mobos. Unless you have some good modding skills. The way the mobo is made. It wont allow it. You don't just simply put it on and go. You need to take the mobo out and put the proper bracket on in the back for AMD or Intel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFUJKvL9js

You need to be using a AMD stock cooler. As its been said. Clean cpu and heatsink off thoroughly. Artic Silver even sells a little kit for that. The cleaning solutions. Alcohol will be fine though. The highest percentage you can get I suggest. I also suggest cleaning up with a coffee filter. It works great and will not leave any particles behind. Add pea drop on cpu and place stock cooler back on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 18 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

NO..NO...i have an hp pavilion in which i installed an aftermarket cooler using the old cooler bracket(the bracket already present can be used again yes)...thats why i didnt mention that...you dont always have to you have to take the thing out...its not the same with every OEM mobo when it comes to installing a new fan(hp is irrelevant here)...otherwise take it out,put the bracket on the backside,put the heatsink on(after applying the thermal paste).....

and the hyper 212 is compatible with the OP's A8...

as to the paste,well ive already posted detailed instructions for the OP...

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
jasko1491
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 19 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Well guys I did some work today. Decided to buy the Artic Silver 5 paste, remove my old thermal paste, and reapply with the new one i bought. I used 70% rubbing alochol to clean the processor and the heatsink and let it dry for an hour. 

Processor

http://imgur.com/9VTySpB

Heatsink

http://imgur.com/rbZi1Wy

Thats a pic of how my old paste looked like. My processor is one of the lever ones, so was easy to get out. The heat sink was attached by screws, which were easy to get out. Didnt have a small enough screwdriver to take off the screws from the cpu fan to clean it properly, but i took a duster can and did what i could. 

Anyway the results. I put on the most CPU entensive game i own, EU4, set the game to max speed and let it play out for 3-5 mins and never reached 100 C thankfully.  At 98% cpu load, it reached 82 C and stayed around there. Right now its running at 30% load at 55-65 C. Which, for all purposes is alot safer then 100 C. 

My next question, Is there a program i can use to stress test my CPU to see how its temp is doing. I will probably go back and get that new heatsink you mentioned from my local Frys, was i think 35-40 bucks. I noticed my own had no copper pipe, and the fan was pretty small. If you have any other new cpu fan suggestions let me know, now that you know what my motherboard looks a bit.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation