Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 550-131d
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I want to upgrade my power supply so that i can use 750ti or 1050ti. My current PSU is 300w. How many watts do i need to run those gpu and if i will buy psu is there a specifications that i need to follow? are all psu that is in the market is compatible in my HP Pavillion 550-131d? Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings @Kliener,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you looking to upgrade the PSU on your computer to install GeForce GTX 750 Ti or 1050 Ti. Happy to help.

Have you checked the power supply requirement of GeForce GTX 750 Ti or 1050 Ti?

I have checked the specifications fo your computer and Geforce graphics cards. 

HP Pavilion 550-131d Desktop PC Product Specifications

GEFORCE GTX 1050 specifications

GeForce GTX 750 Ti specifications

Both the graphics card say 300W PSU is good enough and do not need any additional power connectors. 

As the computer already has a 300W PSU you do need to change the PSU, however, if you see a lag or the computer freezing, you can upgrade the PSU. 

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Disclaimer: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance. You can change the configuration at your own risk.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

By the way Agent @Chimney_83 it says in my specification is that my ram is 4gb but I already upgraded it to 12gb. That's all what changed in my specs... can it still handle 1050ti ? or if I try it will it not burn my system unit? Thanks! 

Im just afraid that if it can't handle the watts it will explode. Does power supplies explode if they cant handle the power needed? Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi @Kliener,

I reviewed the post regarding the graphics card and power supply upgrade. Let me jump in here to give you some information.

Fabulous analysis.  Terrific diagnosis of the issue as well before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 It is paramount to address this for you. We definitely value your relation with HP and it is a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

Going by the product specifications of the computer’s motherboard and power supply on paper, it looks compatible. The power supply should be good enough not to cause any damage.

However, there are a few factors that need to be kept in mind.

• Form Factor of the GPU to be housed in the Tower.
  • The type of Power Supply required.
  • The connectors of the power supply
  • The PCIE slot.
  • RAM requirement.
  • You could actually check all the right boxes relating to these for the Form Factor, power supply, PCIE slot and required RAM. Your computer meets all the requirements.
  • However, please check the power supply connector type should match the power connector of the graphics card.

•  Also, the bios needs to be checked. Sometimes you may have an older bios version and the graphics card may not support it. It could support the latest UEFI bios but may not support this bios version and that may explain the black screen that you see when any unsupported GPU is installed.

• On paper, the power supply is good enough for the graphics card GEFORCE GTX 1050 as it requires a 300 W PSU. This power supply if compatible based on the power connectors of the GPU and the PSU should not blow up or mess up.
  • I would suggest that you contact a local Bet Buy or Staples technician for better clarity before proceeding with the upgrade.

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by HP for optimal performance.

However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the unit.

So please contact a local Best Buy or staples technician and perform the upgrade so that there are no compatibility issues with the GPU upgrade for your computer and everything works smoothly.

From the product specifications list, the computer supports up to a maximum 16 GM of RAM.

• Memory upgrade information
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
  • Supports the following:
  • PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
  • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
  •  NOTE:
  • 32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers
  •  NOTE:
  • Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

Link for the product specifications of the computer: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04925129

The upgrade and service guide could also help you here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04717087

I have tried to be as comprehensive as possible by keeping your best interest in mind. 🙂

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi DavidSMP,

So my BIOS Version/Date is AMI A0.18, 07/10/2016

Is this compatible with 1050ti? Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Kliener, thanks for your response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

I have checked the specifications of the graphics card and it requires a recommended PSU of 300W.

And, your PC already has 300W internal PSU.

The graphics card should work on your PC without any issues.

Refer the system requirements for the graphics card using this link.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
So my last question is that is any brand of 1050ti is compatible with my bios version/date: AMI A0.18,07/10/2016 ? Please answer it because the first agent said also check my bios version ... i dont know if my bios version is compatible with 1050ti coz there is no answer in google thanks!
HP Recommended

@Kliener, thanks for your response and time.

BIOS version will not affect the compatibility of the graphics card.

However, physical dimensions of the graphics card and PC chassis can make a difference.

I would suggest you take it to best buy or any computer shop and get the card upgraded.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.