Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 550-153na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello community,

I am thinking to upgrade my HP 550-153na and I would like to install extra hard drive which would be used just for booting and running OS and some programs. For his purpose, I would like to use Samsung 960 EVO 256GB Not sure that my motherboard ( https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c04790427) is compatible with this SSD, could you guys clarify that for me, please? If not what should I need to buy to connect standard SATA SSD?

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

That SSD will not work with your system as the M2 slot is not compatible and is usually used for wifi module. You can connect a standard 2.5" SSD such as the Samsung 850 and use for the OS and applications. You are going to need Sata cable which connects to motherboard. Look inside the case and see if there is a free sata power cable coming from the PSU. If there is not one you will need a splitter for the sata power. From the pictures it seems like you will be able to screw the ssd to the mounting for hard drives, however you might need a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket.

You will need to reinstall the OS to the SSD either with HP recovery disks, migrating an image to the SSD or clean install (downloading windows 10 from Microsoft).

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot I had a doubts that this slot wouldn't support 960 evo, but I was so tempted to buy it as it would be enourmous performance upgrade.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes it would have been a very fast SSD. However already changing a mechanical drive to an SSD will give a very noticable boost in speed. After using SSDs it is difficult imagining going back to a regular drive.

Let me know if you need further help,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please clcik on accept as solution if answered your question

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.