Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Solved!

Upgrading a slimline power supply unit

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion Slimline (info below) that I want to upgrade the power supply unit from the current 90W unit to a 350W or 400W one.  Is this possible?  I read through the stickied topic at the top of this forum that seemed to only address non-slimlines.

Pavilion s3400f

Prod#: KJ375AA#ABA

S/N: {Content Removed}

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,810 5,043
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Egadd,

You might be able to find a 270 watt power supply.  Get the part number off the power supply inside label and try the below link.

HP Slimline power supply from Athena. A mini-ATX converter cable may also be required.

Look here at HP Partsurfer for video cards that are used in the newer Slimline models with a 220 watt power supply.  These cards were manufactured specially for HP Slimline PCs with 220 watt power supplies.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,899 16,760
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You may find this thread helpful.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Can-I-upgrade-the-Pavilion-Slimline-180-Watt-PSU-to-a-...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The P/N is 5188-7520.

Based on that video, it looks possible to go as big as 300W.  That sent me off looking at 300W graphics cards, but I'm having difficulty finding what power they take.

I found this one that's low profile, but will it run with an 300W PSU?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_fx_370_lowprofile_us.html

Thanks for the help so far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,899 16,760
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would suggest you use the link to HP Partsurfer supplied by Big_Dave to find a relable upgrade.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks David, somehow I completely missed that link from Dave.

From the link Dave supplied, I've found the 220W power supply and the graphics card linked to below.

Regulated power supply 220-Watt, 100V-240VAC (Bardolino)

http://www.impactcomputers.com/504966-001.html

PCIe ATI HD5450 1GB graphics low profile card (Evora) - Running at 800 MHz clock speed, low profile bracket

http://www.dectrader.com/576698-ZH1-New-HP-PCIe-ATI-HD5450-1GB-graphics-low-profile-card-Evora-Runni...

My question is that the power supply isn't listed as being compatible with the s3400f.  Is there anyway to check?  I'm a bit cautious when ordering.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,810 5,043
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Egadd,

The part number of the label on the power supply in your PC should be 5188-7520 which is 160 watt.

Contact Athena from my above link and see what they recommend.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have emailed Athena for their suggestions on upgrading the PSU.  I'll post back when I get a response or mark this thread as solved if it is.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found that the UTX power supply in the slimline is vary fragile I searched heaps of  problems and posts with the same story..I in fact had one to just burn out during boot up so here is the easiest and cheapest way out if you want to upgrade to a 300 or 400 watt power supply 

you will need an atx case with a power supply preferably a short case because you will need to connect the power switch usb and SD to the front panel this you will have to choose you own modifications for 

to convert  it from itx to atk you nee to buy a 20 pin female to 24 pin male power supply connector which run about 4 dollars and you will need an ide to sata power connector with 2 sata power connections which run about 4 dollars and that's it just swap everything to your atx case the only  hard part is mounting the front panel usb and SD ports which  I just cost out  one of the knock outs from the front panel and glued the whole thing in there its a better way to go than buying another fragile power supply for this thing

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation