cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Handley1 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrading from Modem card to NIC card - hp P/N 5188-2907

Pavilion a1630n
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Had a power surge that has wiped out my modem card.  Can I replace with NIC card?

I have a Broadband Cable Modem with Router - connected to 3 other PC's and laptop.

I just use this machine for my email and some internet.

Windows 7

Desktop

HP Pavilion a1630n (about 10 years old)

Thanks

Handley

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
7771 6909 449 841
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrading from Modem card to NIC card - hp P/N 5188-2907

Hi there @Handley1,

May the Forums be with you!  I understand that you wish to replace the modem in your desktop with a NIC card to connect to your cable modem/router.  I am happy to give you a hand with this.

You certainly can put a NIC or Wireless card in your system.  However, it may not be necessary. According to your system specification and the mother board specification, your computer already has an Ethernet connection built into the motherboard. For your reference please see: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, A8M2N-LA (NodusM3) and HP Pavilion Media Center a1630n Desktop PC Product Specifications.

If your on-board Ethernet is not functional, then you have several PCI/PCIe slots available to use.

I hope that answers your question, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation