cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Corelli70
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

Upgrading to a new video card

HP Recommended

I have a Firebird 802, model GM339AA -ABA with a video card that is a Nvidia nForce 760i SLI.

I find that the video card doesn't meet the minimum requirements for an upcoming game, Guild Wars 2, and while it works ok for other games I have I do want to try and replace it with a better video card.

When I open up the machine I cannot tell (this is my first HP) if the current card is something that I can replace myself or have replaced with a better video card.  Does my model computer allow for components like the video card to be replaced without having to send it back to HP (it is out of warranty)?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
spacechild
Level 6
417 409 20 60
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there Corelli70!: according to what I read according to the specs on your machine

you might be able to attempt to replace the current video card

I would do some research into video cards that are both low profile & can run on your PSU

0 Kudos
spacechild
Level 6
417 409 20 60
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

... you can go for either the Radeon HD 6570

0 Kudos
spacechild
Level 6
417 409 20 60
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

...I would suggest trying to upgrade to either a Radeon 5450 or a 5570; these are cards that were in the Pavilion HPE 400 & HPE 410 models interestingly these are nominally require a 400 watt PSU but I have the latter model & after 20 months the card is running quite well on my 300 watt PSU (you have a 350 watt PSU) these are low profile cards so they might be able to fit in that microdotty case. even though these are essentially HTPC cards I have played Warcraft III & it's sequel Frozen Throne also I have played SuperPower I & 2 & currently playing Civ IV

It does help that I have a 17' LG 1732 TQ monitor that I brought back in 2006 but I'm satisfied by the frame rate & overall performance of the 5570(mine has 1GB of DDR-3 memory on it)

good luck

hope this helps

spacechild

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,810 5,050
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Corelli70,

These are the specifications for your Firebird.  The video card slots are MMX types and your Firebird comes with two video cards running in SLI mode.  These MMX cards are very specialized and are hard to find.

A standard PCI-E video card is not going to work.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Dunsany
Level 4
76 75 5 12
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Corelli70 wrote:

I have a Firebird 802, model GM339AA -ABA with a video card that is a Nvidia nForce 760i SLI.

I find that the video card doesn't meet the minimum requirements for an upcoming game, Guild Wars 2, and while it works ok for other games I have I do want to try and replace it with a better video card.

When I open up the machine I cannot tell (this is my first HP) if the current card is something that I can replace myself or have replaced with a better video card.  Does my model computer allow for components like the video card to be replaced without having to send it back to HP (it is out of warranty)?

Your stock Firebird 802 easily surpasses the minimum GPU specifications for Guild Wars 2:

NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000, or better (256 MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)

The Firebird actually has three GPU's. The nForce 760i SLI GPU is integrated with the motherboard chipset and it's very weak for most games. There are also two notebook style GeForce 9800 S GPU's that normally run in 2-way SLI and are much stronger. If you only see the nForce 760i SLI on your computer try installing the drivers in my signature. They're the newest drivers released by Nvidia that support the Firebird's GPU's in 2-way SLI mode.

Guild Wars 2 should run now in single GPU mode on one of the two 9800 S GPU's which should be a lot faster than the 760i SLI GPU. You can open the Nvidia Control Panel and go to the Manage 3D Settings page to create a Game Profile for Guild Wars 2 and select one of the SLI modes to use. SLI mode AFR2 seems to work best for the games I've tried.

If you see this post let me know how it goes. I wrote a long post about upgrading the Firebird GPU's but the forum ate it so I'm keeping this one short.

2 x HP Firebird 802 + 2 x HP 2159m monitor + Windows 7 Home Premium + Windows 8.1 Pro
GeForce Driver Version 266.58 WHQL installs correctly without modification.
GeForce Driver Version 296.10 WHQL requires modified NV_DISP.INF file to install correctly but Nvidia Control Panel is broken.
GeForce Driver Version 341.44 WHQL requires modified NV_DISP.INF file to install correctly but 2-way SLI is broken.
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Corelli70
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks I will give that a try and let you know the results when I am able to use my PC again.  I was wondering why the specs showed a total of 3 video cards yet when I looked into the computer->properties I was only seeing the SLI video card (which doesn't meet the GW2 standards but I can play the game just at the low settings.

I was disappointed to read that I couldn't physically upgrade the video card to something else.

0 Kudos
Corelli70
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I am in the Manage 3D settings and have created a game profile for Guild Wars 2 I don't see something specific to SLI modes.

Which feature should I be in?  I did look through most of them and when my current SLI shows it is always the 760i, I don't see an option for others.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation