cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BigRedButton
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Upgrading video card for HP Elite

HP Pavilion Elite HPE 547c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've been trying to replace/upgrade my video card for my desktop. I've tried multiple video cards, but with each, once it is installed and the computer powered on, the picture does not register with the monitor. Everything else seems to be running, but the monitor gives no response. This was only an issue once the original video card was removed. The current video card I'm trying to install is the NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730.

I've added memory in the past years and the power source has been upgraded, but everything else are still the original parts (http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Elite-HPE-Desktop-PC-series/5035344/model/5074426/do...

Is this an issue with other parts that may need to be replaced or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

You're overlooking,in your case, the most important factor-BIOS compatibility...newer cards,like the gt730,require UEFI BIOS to run...you have a LEGACY BIOS system,and nothing can be done about that unless you change your motherboard...your pc is an early 2011 model...hp standardized UEFI in their systems from late 2012...

You can look at other cards,though...the 700 series card youre looking at is a 2014 maxwell model...there are some in that region that come with a hybrid bios feature that offers wider compatibility on older systems...or you can look at older pascal/fermi architecture cards that run exclusively on legacy bios systems...

Hope this helps

Did this reply resolve your post or question?

If yes, then share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution.
You can also show your appreciation by giving kudos.

BigRedButton
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

This helps immensely - I'm completely in the dark when it comes to hardware. Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
granthik
Level 4
122 113 11 18
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

ah no worries...do tell me if you need help with choosing a card...i do have a lot of experience with that..id be happy to assist

Hope this helps

Did this reply resolve your post or question?

If yes, then share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution.
You can also show your appreciation by giving kudos.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation