Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

VGA and HDMI Ports Not Working

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-e119wm Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently downgraded my HP Pavilion 17-e119wm Notebook from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7. The main final issue is I can't connect to an external display. It appears the VGA and HDMI ports are not working. It may be an issue of missing drivers, but I am not sure. Can you provide assistance? Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,094 10,090 948 2,767
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Assuming the built in dispaly is working OK, then it does not make sense for a driver issue.  By stating "It appears the VGA and HDMI ports are not working" just what is happening when an external monitor or display is connected?  Are you looking in the right place to enable the second screen?

Right click on a empty spot on the desktop and then pick "Screen resolution"  It should show the normal display as #1.  Click on "Detect", it should then show the extra display.  Click on the "new" display to set it up.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
119,927 110,107 17,541 26,825
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need to install the chipset and graphics drivers for your notebook directly from AMD, as HP does not support that model for W7.

Chipset (installs smbus and usb3 controllers).  1st driver on the list.  Install and reboot the PC.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

Graphics:  1st one on the list.  Install and reboot the PC.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows%207%20-%2064

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I appreciate the information. I will give this a shot and see if it helps. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have attempted all the simple fixes. When I plug the VGA cable into my laptop, the external monitor remains black and does not detect my laptop. With that, when I go to Display in Windows 7, my laptop is not detecting an external monitor. Since I had Windows 8.1 on this laptop, then upgrated to Windows 10, and then removed and went with Windows 7, I thought it there may be an issue with drivers. I think Windows 8.1, and then Windows 10, were causing this laptap top to malfunction and causing it to slow down and I deceided to go with Windows 7. I certanily have no issues with the functionality of the laptop other than this one issue where it is not detecting an external monitor. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Didn't the W7 chipset and graphics drivers I posted for you resolve the problem?

If you see a Standard VGA Adapter listed under the Display Adapters device manager category that means the graphics driver needs to be installed.

Without the graphics driver being installed, you cannot change the screen resolution, graphics acceleration is disabled and none of the graphics out ports will work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The AMD download did the trick. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation