Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Matthew809

Your assertion that booting in UEFI mode is incorrect.  It takes more than just booting in UEFI mode.  Care to try again?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

So the BIOS giving the option to boot with UEFI sources has nothing to do with the motherboard being UEFI compatible? How else can we check for UEFI capability?

The previous posts seemed to indicated that the reason the graphics card were expected not to work was due to the motherboard not being UEFI compatible. If this is indeed true, then my motherboard must be UEFI compatible. 

I do care about getting to the bottom of this, and I am sure that others would like to know of a method for determining if these graphics cards will work with their motherboards. Is there something else I can try?

HP Recommended

Here is the answer concerning Holly motherboard found in the p7-1254.

HP's customer support website (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03084248) says this about the Holly motherboard.

The Holly motherboard uses an AMI BIOS version 7 or version 8 that is compatible with UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface).

If you have a p7-1254 with a Holly motherboard, then your motherboard does provide support for UEFI-enabled videocards.

HP Recommended

@Matthew809

But where is the version 8 BIOS? 

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

In the same article, you will find that BIOS 8 was only installed on Holly motherboards for desktops running Windows 8. BIOS 8 on this motherboard only provides one additional feature over BIOS 7, and that is the secure boot configuration. With BIOS 7, I still have the UEFI features, such as network booting and using UEFI boot sources. 

HP Recommended

@Matthew809

You didn't answer my question.  That article is misleading when attempting to run graphics cards that are UEFI enabled from the factory.

If you were running a verison 8 BIOs then and only then would I agree with the posted article.

HP Recommended

As far as I can tell, HP never made AMI BIOS 8 available for download for p7-1254. The BIOS 8 either came preload on the motherboards to start with; or HP, despite their claims, failed to install it on Windows 8 machines. Downloads may also be unavailable because HP never produced any updates. Even if HP had made available their version of AMI BIOS 8 which was shipped with the machines, what would be the point. You can could not use it to fix a possibly corrupted BIOS because your computer may not boot at all. If you for some reason you need AMI BIOS 8, then you will have to contact HP for a solution.

In conclusion, here is the evidence for and against the p7-1254 being UEFI compatible:

-For

1. HP has written that both HP and Compaq desktop computers with the Holly motherboard using either AMI BIOS version 7 or version 8 are compatible with UEFI. (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03084248)
  2. The Computer Setup Utility of BIOS 7.23A, which is used to configure the BIOS, has features that are consistent with a motherboard that is UEFI compatible.
  3. The GTX 1050 Ti, which has been stated to be a UEFI-enabled graphics card requiring a UEFI-compatible BIOS, functions with any problems whatsoever on the p7-1254.

-Against

1. Other PCs with BIOS versions 7.xx had failed to work with UEFI-enabled graphics cards, so it is suggested that BIOS versions 7.xx does not provide UEFI capability. To this, I would have to ask where is the specific documentation that states BIOS versions 7.xx are not UEFI compatible. My second question is in regard to the PCs that the UEFI-enabled graphics cards did not work with: how was it verified that this was an UEFI problem versus insufficient power to motherboard components and the graphics card, defective graphics card, etc?

With the available information, I still have to conclude that the p7-1254 with BIOS 7.23A is UEFI compatible.

HP Recommended

@Matthew809

You have made an unverified claim that an UEFI enabled graphics card will work in the Holly motherboard and with that I suggest that you contact HP support for verification and then print the documented verification (and not the article that you had posted a link to ).

Additionally, I had asked you to post the link to the version 8 BIOS as mentioned in the posted HP document and you haven't done that request.

You really need to spend time searching the forum and look at all of the UEFI graphics card failures with version 7.x BIOS.

So far you have proved nothing and it's time for you to move on.

HP Recommended

I am contacting HP support to verify. I am also asking them about the GTX 1060, 1070, and 1080. I will post their response when it becomes available.

I am sorry I cannot provide a link where you can download BIOS version 8. The page associated with drivers and firmware for p7-1254 running Windows 8 provides no BIOS software whatsoever. The page is normally found here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p7-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187022/model.... However, for some odd reason, it is not working today. I can't provide you with a link that doesn't exist.

HP Recommended

@Matthew809

The HP document that you posted is probably for the "Holly2" motherboard and not the "Holly" motherboard.  The other possibility is that your PC came equipped with a motherboard other than the "Holly".

HP support in never going to verify and certify that the "GTX 1060, 1070, and 1080" would work correctly in the Holly motherboard.  Good luck with getting that information.

The NVIDIA GTX 1080 requires a minimum of a 500+ watt PSU that is equipped to two eight (8) pin auzilliary power connectors which is not in your PC model.  :Surprise:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.