cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
carl_134
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Video card problem 6 beep

HP Recommended

I have a HP xw4600 workstation and I have purchased a new video card and a new power supply. But when I turn it on, the screen stay black and the there is 6 beep. I have looked for solution in this forum and I found something about Legacy mode. But my bios is different and it do not seen to have the Legacy mode. Can you help me?

video card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 1033MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5

P.S. This thread has been moved from Workstations - Itanium-Based, hp9000, Visualize to Workstations - z series, xw series, and legacy x and w series. -HP Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
vnyga
Level 8
1,636 1,622 64 272
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This card is not recommended by HP:
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/csr/home/?sp4ts.oid=3429268&spf_p.tp...

and I've seen several threads that 'gamer' cards doesn't work in HP workstations.
So I don't believe that you can get this running ... sry.

V.

*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
0 Kudos
SDH
Level 10
2,186 2,141 200 632
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First, you mention a new power supply..... I assume that is a HP power supply specifically for that workstation.  The HP power supplies have some special modifications.  They are not standard.

Second, download and update your BIOS to the latest version..... 1.34

Do you have proper supplemental PCIe power to the card?  That is a 140 watt max TDP card, and requires a 6-pin PCIe supplemental power cord to feed it.  There is one coming out of the power supply for this purpose.  We have a nVidia GTX 650 Ti Boost (134 watt max) running fine in our xw8400, which is an older workstation, so I don't believe there is a good reason why your GTX 660 would not work for you.

The technical and service manual states that a video card up to 150 watts max TDP is OK for that workstation, so you should be good to go.  The fact that HP did not sell a particular video card for a workstation does not mean that the card will not work in the workstation.  It may not be "supported" but we do all kinds of such stuff here.

From your technical and service manual:

Blinks red 6 times (once per

second), then a 2-second

pause, and then 6 beeps

Pre-video graphic card error. For systems with integrated graphics, replace the system

board. For systems with graphic cards:

1. Reseat the graphic card. Power on the workstation.

2. Replace the graphic card.

3. Replace the system board.

EDIT:  From the 2012 solution linked in the post below, so we have this in our forum as a copy.  It is possible that a xw4600 BIOS update could have fix the issue, but the posters don't say what version of BIOS they are using (1.34 is currently the latest still in 2017, and I don't think we'll see any updates to that):

"Heres the gist:  plug the GTX650 into the x8 slot of the HP xw4600 and it should boot without a problem. There is the bandwidth loss going from x16 to x8, but it shouldnt cause any performance difference.

Then:  Seems the x8 slot does indeed work - thanks cboilive ... nice work.

Then:  Glad to hear! It seems like the xw4600 has some obscure problem that prevents it running some PCIE cards in x16 mode.  Cheers!"

0 Kudos
kacperbojanski
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
Duane_D
Retired
Retired
4,641 3,064 52 155
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. If you have any additional information, we recommend edit or start a new post. To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number) • Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A 2. Operating System installed (if applicable) • Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit 3. Error message (if any) • Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows 4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred • Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router. If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message! Thank you

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation