Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15 TS Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Lately, any time I've tried to watch any type of video while my laptop is plugged in and charging, the video is very zoomed in and in black and white. I'm not able to watch anything while it is charging

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @Ally9 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for reaching out! I’d like to help you with the video playback issues with your HP notebook!

I understand that you are unable to play any video while the laptop is plugged in & charging. To assist you better, I would like to know these details:

1. Are you playing online videos or the videos saved on your PC? If you have only tried playing online videos, then try playing saved video and vice versa. Let me know the result.
  2. Will the video play fine, when the laptop not plugged into the charger?

Alternatively, try these steps to try and solve the issue:

Step 1:

• Go to Control panel - Power options
  • Now click on the "Change plan settings" next to the selected power plan.
  • Click on "Change advanced power settings".
  • Now, expand the "Graphics settings". 
  • Make sure the "Maximum performance" is selected on both battery & plugged in options.
  • Scroll down and expand the "Multimedia settings" and select "Maximum performance" for both battery and plugged in options for video playback.
  • Apply the settings, restart your notebook and then check the performance.
  • I would also recommend you to check the other settings under the advanced power options settings if the issue still persists.

Step 2:

1. Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
    2. Expand one of the categories to find the name of your device, then right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select Update Driver. For graphics cards, expand the Display adapters category, right click your graphics card and select Update Driver.
    3. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
    4. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.
  1. If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver: Open Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) the name of the device, and select Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello, @Ally9 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for reaching out! I’d like to help you with the video playback issues with your HP notebook!

I understand that you are unable to play any video while the laptop is plugged in & charging. To assist you better, I would like to know these details:

1. Are you playing online videos or the videos saved on your PC? If you have only tried playing online videos, then try playing saved video and vice versa. Let me know the result.
  2. Will the video play fine, when the laptop not plugged into the charger?

Alternatively, try these steps to try and solve the issue:

Step 1:

• Go to Control panel - Power options
  • Make sure the "Maximum performance" is selected on both battery & plugged in options.
  • Scroll down and expand the "Multimedia settings" and select "Maximum performance" for both battery and plugged in options for video playback.
  • Apply the settings, restart your notebook and then check the performance.
  • I would also recommend you to check the other settings under the advanced power options settings if the issue still persists.

Step 2:

1. Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
    2. Expand one of the categories to find the name of your device, then right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select Update Driver. For graphics cards, expand the Display adapters category, right click your graphics card and select Update Driver.
    3. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
    4. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.
  1. If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver: Open Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) the name of the device, and select Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I had this same problem and followed some of the directions put forward by HP Support Agent Dvortex -- with a twist. This is what worked for me (I've made changes to Dvortex's suggestions where I put all caps).

Step 1:

• Go to Control panel
  • SELECT SYSTEM AND SECURITY
  • SELECT POWER OPTIONS
  • Make sure the "MAXIMIZE BATTERY LIFE" is selected on both battery & plugged in options

Dvortex says to select Maximum Performance, however, that's the setting that's getting us into trouble. When the cord is unplugged and we go to battery, the default is Maximize Battery Life, which is what's still working. So if we change the power-cord-in setting to Maximize Battery Life, the problem goes away.

This fixes the problem.

Now the next question is, what piece of hardware/software is not working so that we can no longer use Maximum Performance? The search continues ...  🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.