Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post

Vista Activation - Product Key Invalid

HP Recommended

Windows Vista Product Key not valid. Vista was preinstalled on the Pavilion desktop I bought 2 years ago. Suddenly there is a problem and I need to activate Vista using the product key. When I try to do so (with the key on the PC's label) it's invalid. I have not upgrade the hardware or done anything to the motherboard. I tried calling HP and they said I'd need to pay a support fee for them to validate my product key. I called Microsoft and they said HP would have to give me the valid key. How do I fix this? It seems like a scam to me to make me pay for a product key after 2 years (of course after the warranty is expired).  The one on my documentation and labelled on my PC is suppose to work.

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,321 41,568 4,542 11,932
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

@CJLldt wrote:

Windows Vista Product Key not valid. Vista was preinstalled on the Pavilion desktop I bought 2 years ago. Suddenly there is a problem and I need to activate Vista using the product key. When I try to do so (with the key on the PC's label) it's invalid. I have not upgrade the hardware or done anything to the motherboard. I tried calling HP and they said I'd need to pay a support fee for them to validate my product key. I called Microsoft and they said HP would have to give me the valid key. How do I fix this? It seems like a scam to me to make me pay for a product key after 2 years (of course after the warranty is expired).  The one on my documentation and labelled on my PC is suppose to work.

What is the product name/number on the barcoded tag on the back of your desktop PC?

Best regards,
erico

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread
#PracticeSocialDistancing

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,714 38,171 3,350 14,080
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which Windows Vista was already activated:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931573

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,098 10,094 948 2,768
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the above posts do not do the deed, read this about slmgr commands": http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2062/vista_activation_slmgr_command_options_explained/

Enter the product key that way.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The PC product codes are NC684AAR#ABA and [Personal Information Removed]

The software is Vista Home Premium

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I already have these MS upgrades.  Problem still exists.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Vista was pre-installed on my machine.  I phoned Microsoft support and they said the product key on the label is not valid because HP would have and OEM licence that overrode it.  If I replace the product key using slmgr with the one on the label I'm thinking it won't work and then I will maybe have wiped out the key provided by HP originally.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

presario laptop needs product activation,  same as other complaintants.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,494 4,482 314 1,466
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HelloCJLldt, You might try the below instructions and see if Windows will re-activate.

1) Click the Start button.

2) Type: CMD.exe in the run box.

3) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'

This should give you a black screen with a white blinking cursor. At the blinking cursor,

4) Type: net stop sppsvc      (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

Note: the Software Protection servive may not be running, this is ok.

5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

7) Type: cd %windir%\system32

😎 Type: net start sppsvc

9) Type: slui.exe

10) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear.

Press the enter key on the keyboard after each command.

You may be asked to re-enter the Product Key and/or re-activate or Activation may occur automatically.

Since there is a lot of information here, you might want to copy and paste these instructions into a Word or WordPad document and then print them, so you can enter the information exactly as it is on the instructions. One wrong typo will cause these commands to fail.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation