Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 9 (9,434 Views)
Accepted Solution

W2207 "Monitor Going to Sleep" Message

I am unable to start one of our HP computers. An occasional message appears, "Monitor going to sleep" with an intermittent beeping sound. Monitor is a HP W2207. Have tried to reboot the machine without success. Any tips/thoughts?
Accepted Solution

Re: W2207 "Monitor Going to Sleep" Message

It appears the problem was either a bad memory chip or something associated with one. I removed a 512 chip, restarted the machine and after it went through a self analysis, it started OK. It seems to be running normally.

Nick Weedman

View solution in context
Professor
Message 2 of 9 (9,408 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi hnweedman,

This issue sounds more like a problem with the PC than the monitor. The monitor is going to sleep likely because it isn't receiving a video signal. See if the steps in this HP Support document help: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00061509

Let us know how it goes.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Tutor
Message 3 of 9 (9,400 Views)

I think you are absolutely correct. After going through steps outlined in the FAQ article, I found that the monitor does work but what actually happens is the machine freezes up after a short period of time. I thought it might be a defective video card (part of the motherboard on this machine) but wonder if it is not the motherboard itself or the CPU. I have no idea how to further isolate or analyze the problem.

Nick Weedman

Tutor
Message 4 of 9 (9,412 Views)

It appears the problem was either a bad memory chip or something associated with one. I removed a 512 chip, restarted the machine and after it went through a self analysis, it started OK. It seems to be running normally.

Nick Weedman

Honor Student
Message 5 of 9 (6,279 Views)

My monitor keeps going into a sleep mode therefore I am unable to use my computer as I cannot get to my desktop---what to do?

Associate Professor
Message 6 of 9 (6,269 Views)

Boot in safe mode and check the display settings
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Honor Student
Message 7 of 9 (6,266 Views)

How do I do this?---boot and check display was your recommendation but I cannot get anything on my monitor so I cannot see anything

Associate Professor
Message 8 of 9 (6,255 Views)

@cynger:
Maybe it would have been better to open your own thread, but ok:
What's your hardware? pc model? monitor model? os?
How are they connected?
Do you see anything at the monitor? At boot-up?
Does the monitor work at another pc?
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Honor Student
Message 9 of 9 (6,240 Views)

Vista operating system monitor says VERY QUICKLY no signal coming from the computer---computer guy out yesterday and he hooked up to his laptop and my monitor works fine---he said hard to know if video card or mother board or so we went to Costco and bought a brand new PC---ours was just over 5 years old---now have Windows 7 and can update to Windows 8 the end of this month for $15---would maybe like to fix this one and sell itSmiley Happy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation