Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
37 27 0 1
Message 11 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Attempted to clone my 320 GB hard drive in my HP Compaq CQ5110F but the 1 TB new drive was not recognized. There are only 2 cable connectors for power like the one connect to the existing HD drive; the second cable goes to the DVD drive. The other cable to the HD  is connected to SATA 0 on the mother board, the DVD drive to SATA 1. Tried running the 1 TB drive on the 2 cables that go to the DVD drive and the drive got warm and felt like it was running but was not recognized as mentioned above. Finally looked into the BIOS, no second drive is supported. So guess I’m not going to be able to do the clone unless there are some other options. So thanks very much for your help but I should have checked out my machine more completely before starting this effort.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,379 4,360 405 628
Message 12 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

See this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Copy-Contents-of-One-Hard-Drive-to-a-New-Hard-Drive

You may also use a SATA to USB cable which you may get at any computer store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
37 27 0 1
Message 13 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok! I thought if there was such a thing as a SATA to USB it might work but figured it did not exist, ha! Very good, may   get the cable but first will check out the link you gave. Great info again. Thanks much again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
37 27 0 1
Message 14 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Using the USB to SATA cable but the 1TB Seagate SSHD is showing up in Device Manager under Disk Drives with main C drive and Seagate back up drive. If I could get theSSHD formatted then guessing computer would assign drive letter and  could move on to cloning. Have down loaded Disc Wizard from Seagate but have not been able to use at this point.  My next try is to install the 1 TB SSHD as secondary drive in old Compaq 7100 CMT stored in our basement, it has W7. Should be able to down load Disc Wizard and proceed...... Seems like there shoud be easier way but anyway.  If you have any comments please let me know.  If this should be reposted as a new issue on the forum  let me know. Thanks again for all your help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
37 27 0 1
Message 15 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks much for your help on the clone, it worked out great. Decided at the last moment to use the clone option on the Seagate Dics Wizard and it seems to have done ok. Probably not as good a program as the Macrium but so far everthing is ok. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,379 4,360 405 628
Message 16 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Great. keep the Macrium idea for backup purposes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation