cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lskippermathis
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

WINDOWS XP HOME DOES NOT RECOGNIZE CD-R FOR BACKUP

I'm working to do a complete system restore to factory settings on my old desktop which runs windows xp home 5.1. I have been trying to backup all files and system, but it seems the 5.1 version does not have backup utility. So I've been trying to do some tedious backup to D:\ drive, using cd-r's I purchased from HP. For some reason it does not recognize that a disk is in the drive. Tried to format..no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?  I just do not want to loose the info I've accumulated, ie pics, music.

Your help is appreciated!

Lori

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 17
Level 17
44,688 38,145 3,344 14,047
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A few years ago I used HP Simple Backup on my XP machine. I am pretty certain that it supports backing up to CD.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=co617en&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jum...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

lskippermathis1
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you. This was very helpful. Now I just have to figure out why my computer is not recognizing that thereis a CD-R in the drive.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,688 38,145 3,344 14,047
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The CD drive may have failed, or just be in need of cleaning. Try a cotton swab moistened just a bit with alcohol to clean the laser eye.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation