cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JosJD
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Want to wipe a HP Compaq dc5700 clean and start again

HP Recommended

Hi all

My son uses a HP Compaq dc5700 which we got from a friend, the computer is pretty clogged up nowadays and i want to wipe the drive clean.

Ive done this once before on this machine but for the life of me i cannot remember how i did it 😞

Im trying to restore it to when my friend purchased it new.

There is no CD as Windows XP was already installed when it was new.

Ive checked F10 but cannot see the restore to factory settings or something similar that we wipe the C: drive clean.

Thanks in advance for any advice, it will be much appreciated.

Jos

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,178 119,355 19,494 29,789
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Jos:

I would contact HP at this number  1-800-334-5144, and order a set of revovery disks for $10.

Just inform the customer services rep that you need to order a set of quick restore disks for your PC.

You will need to provide the model number and serial number.

When you get the disks, you boot from the disk that is not labeled operating system and follow the on screen instructions.

If there is a recovery partition on the PC that you are trying to access, you hit the F11 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen.

If F11 doesn't launch the recovery menu, then you will not be able to recover the PC w/o a set of recovery disks.

Paul

0 Kudos
JosJD
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response Paul.

Ive just tried F11 and nothing was launched.

The odd thing is the fact ive allready been able to wipe this computer once without any disks etc.

I just cannot remember how i did it .

0 Kudos
Yumekoyou
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I can't log on to my HP Compaq dc5700 small form factor,cause I forgot my password
0 Kudos
Yumekoyou
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Please help
0 Kudos
IT_WinSec
Level 15
Level 15
9,958 9,854 796 3,831
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Yumekoyou

What kind of password you forgot ?  Windows login password  or  BIOS password ?

Please, check this thread for Windows accounts and general informaton > http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/I-forgot-my-password-can-HP-help...

If this is re. BIOS password, refer to the HP Troubleshooting guide > Page 67/61 > http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3249646&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01...

>> Your FEEDBACK is important. Click below on Accept As Solution or ThumbUp+ buttons if my comments helped or to say thanks <<
*** I work for HP *** I express personal opinion only *** HP Expert - Volunteer since 2013
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation