cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
martinh65 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wanting to replace the motherboard for a better processor in my HP Pavilion p6140f Desktop

HP Pavilion p6140f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Like the heading states, I am wanting to replace the motherboard in mycHP Pavilion p6140f Desktop

with a motherboard that will take an i7 processor, so that I can do better graphics work on my computer.

I already have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 graphics card and 8gb or DDR2 RAM

I just want to upgrade the computer itself to run everything smoother and faster.

Can anyone give me some advice?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
18,582 16,540 1,537 3,674
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wanting to replace the motherboard for a better processor in my HP Pavilion p6140f Desktop

martinh65

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

You're going to run into problems doing this.

First off, your PC did not come with Win10 preinstalled, so you must have done the Win10 Upgrade.

Problem with that is that when you did the Upgrade, the license that was used to activate Win10 was the one that came with Win7 on your PC -- and that is tied to the motherboard.  When you discard that motherboard, you also discard the license that came with it.  Those OEM license are NOT transferrable.  So, when you connect the hard drive you have to the new motherboard, reboot the machine, and go online, MS will DEACTIVATE the copy of Win10 running on your PC.

You would then have to go to Microsoft and purchase a license on your own, and you are looking at $100 USD or more for that.

Second, HP contracts with motherboard vendors to custom-build motherboards for them.  These are not the same a retail motherboards and can be very hard, if not impossible to find.  IF you have to make do with a retail motherboard, they often do not have the custom jacks that HP boards have, meaning that peripherals like memory card readers, will not work with the retail motherboard because it has no jack for them.

I have seen motherboards offered for sale on line that claim to replace the HP OEM boards --but I have not used any of those, so I can not vouch for them.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation