Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Teacher
Teacher
116 4 3
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was there a Bios update

HP p6720f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer does not allow me to set Bios to boot from USB stick. is/was there a Bios  update for the

N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix) (Foxconn) mothrboard?

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9856 921 1398
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was there a Bios update

Hello, @Funkyecat – Hope you are well :)

Thanks for stopping by HP Support forums. I will do my best to assist you with this issue!

I see that you are having issues while trying to boot the BIOS from USB stick. Let’s start with the steps mentioned here: http://hp.care/2fCHWda

If the issue still persists, then let’s try to boot it outside BIOS. Turn off and restart PC. On startup keep tapping “F9” to get boot device options. Now select USB option connect the USB stick and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers :)

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
116 4 3
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was there a Bios update

I know how to change boot order. The Bios on my computer does not have a reference for USB. I want to know ifthere was a Bios update that may include this.

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 574 1601
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was there a Bios update

> My computer does not allow me to set Bios to boot from USB stick.

A guess:

Enter BIOS SETUP, and see if your BIOS has "groups" (the "Optical drives" group, and the "Disk drives" group),

and if the BIOS allows you to "prefer" one group over the other.  If it does, choose the "Disk drives" group.

Then, open the "Disk drives" group, and see if that group has two members, namely your 'C:' drive and your USB drive.

Choose to make the USB drive the "preferred" item in that group.

Save-and-exit from BIOS SETUP, and allow the computer to boot from the USB device, as the "preferred" member of the preferred "Disk drives" group.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
116 4 3
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was there a Bios update

P.S. F9 is Diagmostics

My Bios doed not give me those options.

F10 does not open sessions it goes to password (Which I don't have) and requires F@ to boot up.

This has all changged from years back.

~8 year old computer and cannot get anything at Foxcon.

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 574 1601
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was there a Bios update

> My BIOS does not give me those options.

Nothing even remotely similar?

Do you really need to boot from USB?  Can you boot from a CD/DVD-recordable?

> F10 does not open sessions it goes to password (Which I don't have ...

Since you have a "desktop" computer, not a "laptop" computer, there is a documented procedure for moving a small "jumper" on the motherboard to "clear" all the BIOS settings, which includes the deletion of that password.

Then, you really "own" your password-free computer.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
116 4 3
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was there a Bios update

Creation of a Recovery USB is required as the file will not fit on DVD (1.01 GB.

The settings seen while (re)staring the computer are different from what they do (did) (F10,ESC, etc.)

I don't have a password and never had. All I have to do is press F@ to continue. It use to be a complete settings as per statement on the initial page.

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 574 1601
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was there a Bios update

> Creation of a Recovery USB is required as the file will not fit on DVD (1.01 GB.

All the full-size "blank" DVD-recordables that I have will hold 4.7 GB -- much more than 700 MB that a CD-recordable will hold.

> I don't have a password and never had ...

Previously, you said that it was prompting for a password that you did not have.

I'm confused.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
116 4 3
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was there a Bios update

Recovery drive requires 8gig can only use USB stick. Current Bios does not have allowance for booting to USB.

That is what I said from the beginning. I cannot find if there was a Bios update!!

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 574 1601
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was there a Bios update

> Current Bios does not have allowance for booting to USB.

Connect the USB stick, and turn the computer on.

What options do you have, for each 'Fnn' key?

Do you have a "smart-phone" with a built-in camera?

If so, take a picture of what you see, and include that image in your reply.

Choose the one that allows you to enter "BIOS SETUP" (or whatever it is called).

Is there a section for "BOOT", i.e., to choose which devices (or device-groups) are to be checked for being bootable, and in what order those devices are to be checked?

Again, snap another picture.

Is there a section for "Disk Drive Group"?

Is there more than one "member" in that "group".

Hopefully, there will be one line for the USB stick, and one line for the disk-drive.

Correct?

Change the order to put the USB memory-stick "ahead" of the disk-drive.

Return to the previous menu.

Put the "boot from disk-drive group" ahead of the "boot-from-optical-devices" group.

Save & exit from BIOS SETUP.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation