cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
cwkaiser
Level 2
19 14 1 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Webcam

Stupid question, but how can I tell if my desktop computer has a built in webcam or not?

Thanks {Personal Information Removed}

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,203 22,985 1,977 7,267
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Webcam

Hi CwKaiser,

Your computer will probably have software for a webcam if it has a webcam.

Look for:  YouCam or MediaSmart, depending on your Windows flavor.

Most "Desk Top" units do not have built in webcams unless they are "all in one" units and the webcam is built into the top edge of the monitor along the top edge.  So,  low-tech check... Grab the top edge of your monitor and run your thumb along the edge.  If you have a webcam, you'll feel it when you get to the middle.  The camera is tiny and there will be a little "dent" where the camera is located.  Poof!  Webcam facing you.

It's not a big deal.  You are probably better off without a built-in unit.  They are fussy, flimsy, and prone to breaking all the time. 

Buy yourself a nice clamp on unit - they come with microphones, and sometimes with software, the camera should be high quality, and then you will be very pleased with the performance.

HP even makes a decent one, though you have to buy the better grade to get one that works well.  (I have one and it's fine.)   Logitec makes a very nice webcam (they used to make a really fine 9000 - very nice, don't know if it's around any more).

Pay enough to get a decent webcam - one with a microphone, maybe HD, though that is not needed.  The software that comes with the webcam lets you set it up and test it... You can use the webcam with Skype regardless of it's brand - nothing fancy needed.

I hope that helps. 

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
cwkaiser
Level 2
19 14 1 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Webcam

Thank you!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation