Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
13 11 1 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Webcams on two TouchSmart IQ504 aren't functioning well

HP Recommended

Hello All!

I have two Hp TouchSmart IQ504s running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I'm having trouble getting the integrated webcam to work. It gets a bit strange, but I'll  try to keep it concise. I first tried to use the webcam from within SmartCenter. It worked... for a while. After several weeks of owning the computer the SmartCenter webcam program said it couldn't find the device. I've also tried the built-in YouCam software but I get the following error:

"Cannot connect to this video device (HP Webcam). Please select another capture device via Settings or close any application that may be using the video  device and restart YouCam."

No other application seems to be using YouCam and the error persists even after a restart. I've checked device manager and the webcam is there and has  no error messages. I've tried uninstalling the driver and then scanning for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. The webcam was found and the  driver was supposedly installed successfully. I went to HP's drivers and support area but couldn't find a driver for the IQ504 webcam. It's not  explicitly listed. I looked in device manager to see what the model of webcam was but alls it says is that the manufacturer is Microsoft (no model number) so I can't go  to a manufactureer website and look for drivers.

Here's where it gets a little weird. On one of the TouchSmarts I installed WebcamXP and it worked! YouCam and SmartCenter still won't use the webcam, but WebcamXP seems to handle it fine. The other TouchSmart (all with the same symptoms and  attempted remedies) still will not work even with YouCam, WebcamXP or YAWCam (a free webcam software). The Webcam is seen (WebCamXP and YAWCam both see  the HP Webcam as an option to choose) but when I select it in the webcam programs there is no video.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
13 11 1 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Just a little bump. Still haven't figured this out. :smileyindifferent:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

no doubt, thats bizzare!

Just checked mine (IQ508a) in device manager which all works fine, i haven't installed any other application that interfaces with the camera (yet);

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 21/06/2006

Driver Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Driver Details: c:\windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys,   c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbvideo.sys

I searched google and there are **bleep** loads of hits, a lot discuss yahoo youcam and windows live, even found a hit where coming in and out of hibernation helps as a workaround but that one is bizzare in itself,...

Do any of your other USB devices play up the same? eg, Memory stick, handycam, pocket drive, etc,...

HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

check this thread out, might help...

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+123318870619...

Jan 15, 2009 18:05:16 GMT    Unassigned

I believe I have found the solution. This is caused by other USB powered devices connected to the computer AT STARTUP. Unplug all your other devices, turn off WI-FI card and reboot. After Vista startup and sign in run youcam (webcam) and you should be OK. After this you can plug in any other devices. Camera should now work normally. It seems like a bug in power managment of motherboard at startup.
HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
1,475 1,465 35 112
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you have Windows Live Messenger installed on the system?

If so, try going into the Windows Live Messenger, Tools, Options, Sign In, and uncheck

[  ]  Automatically run Windows Live when I log on to Windows

Post to the forum if it works after you reboot the system.

Message Edited by PC_Tester on 11-23-2009 09:30 AM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i have a touch smart desk top, 1Q780A  and you guessed it,the web cam does not work either, much to my disapointment, i had it looked at by two friends who knew a lot more about it than i, but to no avail, so in the end had to buy a separate web cam, with great delight i can now use my skype with my family.  But i think that HP should come to the aid of consumers like myself as this is a wide spread problem, as these touch screens are not cheap to buy, i had bought it with good faith!!!!!!!!! 

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation