cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Papaprop
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

What OS can work on an compaq presario sr1817cl?

HP Recommended
Compaq presario sr1817cl
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I replaced the hard drive. The computer came with XP and I can't get any survive pack from Microsoft or a newer internet explorer.Can an Windows OS 7 or 8 work on a compaq presario sr1817cl ?
3 REPLIES 3
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
96,919 63,556 12,563 20,913
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please run the following tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=20

t will help you to make decidiom.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
doughjohn
Level 7
975 498 31 76
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I would expect Win 7 to, but you do list the OS as Win 7 64 bit, so....

Also there would be a slew of Lo-Cost/No-Cost Linux (Unix) OS's.  Like Opensuse 13.2 LXDE.

What end result did you have in mind?

wb2001
Level 15
12,842 9,921 1,776 3,687
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Compaq sr1817cl only has HP supplied drivers for XP and Vista.  Curious that you bought a hard drive, what size?   Drives from 200GB to 500GB should be OK, anything else is suspect. You should  be warned  that the motherboard only supports SATA 150.  The newer hard drives are SATA 600, and new old stock might be SATA 300.   I know the Seagate models have a 4 pin jumper.  From the rear view, the 2 most right must be jumpered to force SATA 150 compatibility.

Although the original install CD set can be obtained, your still correct about the limiting IE8 issue.  Google Chrome  (XP)  is not supported in 2016.

Let's face the facts.  XP has run it's course.  If you want to continue, you can, under the limits I have outlined.

IE9 is only supported with Vista.  Obtaining a retail Vista CD, and manually installing the Vista drivers could be an option.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation