cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MacKenrick
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

What is "FACTORY_IMAGE (D:)

HP Recommended

I recently purchased an HP (Compaq) for my grandkids with Windows 7.  When I bought it, I was told that it did not come with the Windows7 CD and they offered to make a "Backup" DVD set (which I had to pay for) in case I had problems and had to "Restore" my system.

When I pickup up the computer they gave me the "Backup" DVD set along with the computer.  When I got the computer home and started it up, I noticed that it had the normal C: Drive (455GB) but it also had a 😧 Drive (which is only 9.7GB with 8.2GB used and 1.4GB used .  The 😧 Drive was labeled like this:    FACTORY_IMAGE(D:)   and has Folders like:  boot, hp, preload, Recovery, System Volume Inforamation and Files like: bootmger, BT_COMPAQ.FLG, CPS.DAT, etc.

My question is:  Is this the original way this computer is shipped from HP or did the Techs at Staples add the "D:" Drive as part of the "Backup" they did of the system?

The reason I am asking is that I want to partition my hard drive into a C: drive (about 100GB) and a 😧 drive (about 350GB) and am not sure what to do with the data in the current 😧 Drive.

Thank you for your help.  Mac

PS:  If I decide just to add a partition, can I rename the current 😧 Drive to say E: Drive, shrink the current C: Drive to 100GB and add a new 😧 Drive?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,469
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The 😧 is your recovery partition. It can be used to reinstall your OS which is a bit faster than using Recovery DVD set. If you have tried booting with your set and know for sure that it works,you can delete the partition using HP Recovery Manager in your Start Menu.

For more info read >>

HP Recovery in Windows 7:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docnam e=c01867418&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&c...

Create Recovery Discs in Windows 7:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867124&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

MacKenrick
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.  It was very helpful.  I was wondering about the second part of the question. 

If I decide just to add a partition, can I rename the current 😧 Drive to say E: Drive, shrink the current C: Drive to 100GB and add a new 😧 Drive?

Will renaming the 😧 Drive to E: cause any problems with the recovery partition.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,469
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, any modification to the 😧 will prevent Recovery from that partition from working. Of course,  modifying the hdd partitioning at all usually messes up booting from the Recovery partition.That is why I suggested to test your Recovery DVD set and just delete the partition using HP Recovery Manager if you want to partition the hdd.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

PSSnyder
5 5 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
If you want a new "partition" I would suggest adding a second hard-drive - then it will automatically be drive E and you will have both a DVD and drive D emergency backup -
0 Kudos
Mumbodog
Level 12
12,390 12,217 582 1,542
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Check disk management, the hard drive may already have 4 partitions, which is the limit, so if there are already 4 partitions, you cannot add a 5th.

Secondary hard drive is a better solution, either Internal or external USB.

ninja5624
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No matter what, DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT delete the D drive or modify it in any way unless you intend on installing a new OS. D is used as a boot partition. Windows will FAIL to boot if it is removed. I've done this once and I had to reinstall everything.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation