cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
20 16 1 2
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

What is the real RAM limit on A7V8X-LA/Kelut-GL6E MoBo?

MoBo sheet says "Max memory size is up to 2GB, 1GB per slot, HP recommends a maximum memory of 1GB, 512MB per slot".  Computer sheet says "RAM (installed): 512 MB ax512MB up to 64MB shared video memory, Maximum allowed: 1 GB (2x512MB). 

MoBo spec. sheet (2 different but similar sheets):

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00069442

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00063254

Computer (Pavillion a610N) spec sheet:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00193144

So if I put 2GB in, will it (1) work, (2) not work but do no damage (i.e., recover when proper amount is installed), or (3) not work and damage something (MoBo, bios, whatever)?

I did an on-line chat with an HP "tech" and of course got the party line of (paraphrasing) " I can't tell you why, but don't do it".

What's the real scoop on this?  Any way to get a definitive answer on this without actually trying it and risking damage?

TIA!

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
PhD Student
PhD Student
945 945 50 137
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Visit http://www.crucial.com/ and use the free Crucial Memory Advisor Tool.
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
Intern
20 16 1 2
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

OK - thanks very much, Carey.  According to that, I can go with the full 2MB.  One of their FAQ's answers my next question which was if I can get a better deal on PC3200 (than on PC2700) even though the MoBo speed can only go to PC2700 speed, will it work OK (throttle itself down to PC2700 speed), which I was pretty sure was true, but it's nice to have that confirmed.

Anyone have any theories as to why HP would try to convince people not to try the larger RAM if in fact the larger RAM works?  More power draw (heat and amps)/lower MoBo reliability, or greater chance of timing issues?  Or just artificial limits imposed for some marketing reasons?

Anyway - thanks again, Carey.

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
945 945 50 137
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The design paramaters of the motherboard and CPU dictate the maximum supported speed of RAM.  You can indeed use PC3200 in lieu of PC2700 as long as the RAM voltage requirements are the same.
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

0 Kudos
captopril_46 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi there,

I saw your post and just wanted to ask you if upgrading to 2GB really did work out fine for you.

The thing is I also purchased a PC from Compaq 3 yrs ago with the same motherboard as you. The Compaq Presario SR1300NX. HP rep told me the same thing, that I "shouldn't upgrade". I believed 'em for a sec, until I did the crucial.com test and discovered my motherboard could indeed handle 2GB of max RAM.

Since you've had the same issue, I just needed to know if you really did go ahead and installed more than 1GB of RAM, and have you had any problems since your memory upgrade? I'm just wondering if HP told the both of us the same thing only because they don't want us to upgrade our pc's; they want us to buy a new one.

Please, I'm in the same dilemma as you once were. Please let me know if upgrading your RAM beyond 1GB worked out for you.

I'd really appreciate your help. 

Happy Holidays 🙂

Hassan.

This message was for Piva specifically, but if anyone can offer some advice..I'd really appreciate it.

Message Edited by captopril_46 on 12-22-2008 05:00 PM
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
20 16 1 2
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Besides doing the test at crucial.com, I also did a chat with a Crucial tech to ask how confident they were of what their site showed for our MoBo.  She seemed confident that their information was correct.  I also asked, hypothetically, if they happened to be wrong and it could only use 1GB, what would be the consequences if I put in 2BG when the board could only use 1GB - would there be any possibility of permanent damage?  She said all that would happen is that the copmputer would not boot up, in which case, you turn it off, return it to its original RAM and reboot.  She still was fairly adamant that he board could handle the 2GB.  She pointed out that Crucial guarantee is that if you put their RAM in and it doesn't work, you can return it for a full refund.

Related to that, at work last week, I upgraded RAM on a computer (totally different MoBo), and in fact put more in than it could handle.  The results were exactly as the Crucial tech said - it simply gave a couple of beep tones and refused to boot up.  I put the original RAM back in, and it worked fine.  So what she told me about too much RAM appears to be generally true.

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, I haven't actually done the upgrade to 2GB, but coincidentally, just yesterday, I ordered the 2GB's.  Should be here next week.  I will post back with the results.

Merry Christmas!

Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for posting back so quickly Peva 🙂

A few days ago, I also spoke with a rep at crucial.com and another rep at Kingston (another manufacterer) of RAM modules.The rep at crucial, just like the one you spoke to, was very confident in this memory upgrade working out. She assured me that their database is VERY accurate and also, in the past they've sold over 450 memory modules of 1GB capacity to customers of this motherboard,and (here's the relieving news)...only FOUR CUSTOMERS have returned the units back for a full refund. The rep at Kingston, also stated that the percentage of merchandise (1GB cards) returned to vendor was less than 0.09%. 

These figures, and your post, makes me feel quiet better about the upgrade to 2GB.

Thanks for offering updates on the results of your upgrade next week. Hope it goes well 🙂

Have a wonderful christmas!

Hassan.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
20 16 1 2
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Well the new 2GB of RAM came today - faster than I anticipated since New Egg shipped it by DHL.

Plugged it in 5 minutes ago, booted up fine, system properties shows it as 2GB.  So it looks like a success.  It's like stickin' it to the man!  🙂

Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

That's GREAT news!

Thank you soo much for remembering to post back your results..you just made my day. I'm ordering it right now. Guess I shudda never have doubted all those reps I spoke to who said it would work 😄 Have a very happy new year...you've helped alot of ppl by posting your results.

Thanks again Peva 🙂

0 Kudos
pava420n Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Wish I'd found this thread earlier. Also based on the Crucial web site, I just updated my Pavilion A420N to 2GB and it's very happy.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation