Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870 Ultra Performance
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Omen PC does not see the monitor. The monitor does not do 4K, which is the default for the Omen. I need an Windows 10 setup DVD or USB thumb drive that will work with my PC so I can boot in to safe mode and set the PC to use 1080P so I don't have to buy a new monitor. How do I get the Windows 10 setup DVD or USB thumb drive I need? I can't create one since I can't see anything with the current monitor.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@geercom

You order it using this link:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

From: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-by-hp-desktop-pc---870-120

you have a "warranty":

1 year limited hardware warranty (information at www.hp.com/support);

90 day phone support (from date of purchase);

Complimentary chat support within warranty period (at www.hp.com/go/contacthp)

Have you tried the above?

Your display-screen should be "Plug-And-Play", and should identify itself as "full HDMI" -- not as "Ultra HDMI".

Then, Windows should set the screen-resolution appropriately.

When starting Windows from a powered-off computer, keep tapping F8 until you get to the Boot Menu, which should allow you to use "low-resolution" video.

HP Recommended

What I get is no signal. Is this old Acer X223w monitor with no HDMI input really going to boot into safe mode just using F8 when I get no signal on the screen?

HP Recommended

>  Is this old Acer X223w monitor with no HDMI input really going to boot into safe mode just using F8 when I get no signal on the screen?

What "video-output" connectors do you have on your computer?

If there is more than one, which one is connected to a video-cable?

Is the video-cable VGA-to-VGA?  DVI-to-DVI?  HDMI-to-DVI?

Are you using an adapter (VGA-to-DVI?) at one end of the cable?

Your monitor should have two inputs:

1 x DVI-D - 24 pin digital DVI
1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)

Which input are you using?
Does the OSD (On Screen Display) have an option to "listen" to one source, versus the other source?
If it's set to the input that is not connected to a video-cable, you will get "no input" on-screen message.

HP Recommended

> Is this old Acer X223w monitor with no HDMI input really going to boot into safe mode just using F8 when I get no signal on the screen?

What "video-output" connectors do you have on your computer?

<<Computer has only two HDMI outputs>>

If there is more than one, which one is connected to a video-cable?

<<I have tried HDMI cable out from both ports with no success>>

Is the video-cable VGA-to-VGA? DVI-to-DVI? HDMI-to-DVI?
Are you using an adapter (VGA-to-DVI?) at one end of the cable?

<<The video cable is HDMI to HDMI and I am using an HDMI to DVI-converter/adapter on the end that goes into the monitor>>

Your monitor should have two inputs:

1 x DVI-D - 24 pin digital DVI
1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)

Which input are you using?

<<see above>>

Does the OSD (On Screen Display) have an option to "listen" to one source, versus the other source?
If it's set to the input that is not connected to a video-cable, you will get "no input" on-screen message.

<<No, the OSD I find using the buttons on the monitor does not have this option>>

HP Recommended

>>  What "video-output" connectors do you have on your computer?

> Computer has only two HDMI outputs

> I have tried HDMI cable out from both ports with no success.

> The video cable is HDMI to HDMI.

> I am using an HDMI to DVI-converter/adapter on the end that goes into the monitor.

That should work.  Do you have a TV with HDMI input, that can be temporarily connected to your computer?

I still think that "Plug-and-Play" should configure the computer to use a "compatible" setting.

>> Does the OSD (On Screen Display) have an option to "listen" to one source, versus the other source?
>> If it's set to the input that is not connected to a video-cable, you will get "no input" on-screen message.

>  No, the OSD I find using the buttons on the monitor does not have this option.

If you currently have a video-cable connected to the VGA port on your monitor, disconnect it, because some monitors will detect that connected cable, and assume that there is a video-signal on that cable.

HP Recommended

The TV does not have an HDMI input after all. The recovery media is coming today. I plan to use it to set the PC to boot into Safe Mode, assuming that it will boot from the DVD the first time. Then I can set the PC to use the 1080p that the monitor uses. 

Should this work? Any additional instructions?

HP Recommended

>  I plan to use it to set the PC to boot into Safe Mode,

I hope that this will work.

> assuming that it will boot from the DVD the first time.

It should. 

> Then I can set the PC to use the 1080p that the monitor uses. 

Normally, on the "first boot", Windows should load a "generic" (low-resolution) device-driver for the video adapter.

Then, after the "heart" of Windows is loaded, it will use "plug-and-play" to find a better device-driver, and should set the video-adapter to the "optimal" settings (supplied by that plug-and-play interface).

I can imagine a "crazy" scenario, where you take your PC & keyboard & mouse & power-cord & HDMI cable into a "big-box" store, connect your computer to a "floor-display" UHD TV, boot-up your computer, change the setting, and then disconnect and walk away.  Given the low level of staffing at some of those stores, only the video-surveillance cameras will "see" you.    Or, maybe, just walk-in to a small "owner/operator" computer-store, and ask them for the one-time connect to a UHD display.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help with this. I understand that this PC does not have integrated video and only 4K is enabled by default. Is there any reason this should keep it from doing what you mention with the plug and play? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.