Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jillian0113 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

White Vertical Line on Screen

HP All In One 21-3140
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I was hoping someone could help me, I litterally just took my brand new HP All in One 21-3140 out of the box and the display as it was first starting up looked great and then it performed an update and now on the right hand side of my screen I have a white dotted line going down it. I have tried rebooting my computer and pulling the power cord out along with the connections for the wireless keyboard and mouse and cannot seem to get rid of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
7771 6909 449 840
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @jillian0113,

I hope you find your Support Forum experience a positive one!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.  I understand that after an update that there is now a dotted line down the side of the display.  I am happy to help with this.

As it was working fine right before these updates, it is likely a software issue of some sort. Were the updates from the HP Support Assistant or from Windows Updates?

Just in case something was modified with the display driver, use this process HP PCs - Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 10) to reload the factory display drivers and then test if the line still appears. 

If the line remains, then try HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 8), and use a restore point from before the updates were made and after it is finished again test whether the display works properly. If this does work, then your computer will later likely try to do the update again. To prevent that you will want set your network connections as metered, so you can pick and choose what to allow to update. Please see How, When, and Why to Set a Connection as Metered on Windows 10 -howtogeek.com for how to do that. You can then look at any available updates and decide which to allow in an effort to identify which may be the source of the issue.

If the second option did not work for you, possibly because there was not a valid restore point to use, then you can use HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10), to reload the factory image once more. If you have copied or downloaded information you wish to save, then copy it to an external device first. If the factory recovery, works as it should, and the line is gone, I would again suggest making the connection metered, using the previous instructions.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply back so promptly, I dont know what kind of update it was, all I know is it happened as I was setting up my computer for the 1st time and I even left it off over night to see what the difference it would make. I guess seeing how new it is it wont hurt to restore to factory settings and see what kind of difference it would make as I do not know the time of day I was working on this.

I will let you know what happens.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, I did the restore with no luck :( I still have the white line going down my screen and it is upsetting as this is literally a brand new computer and my first time going with an HP, I am wondering if I would be better off exchanging it for a new one at the store I bought this from, but I do not know if they still have this in stock. Very dissappointing

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation