cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 4
171 119 6 6
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Who is Administrator?

HP Recommended

I have been trying to uninstall SKYPE, temporarily, but get the message that I need permission from the Administrator.   As this is my own Pc and as I am the only one to use it, how come I'm not the administrator and what can I do to achieve success here.   I have run into the same problem with one or two other items I wish to delete.

Advice desperately needed by a nearly complete Pc tyro!

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
12,533 12,329 1,704 4,777
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bryan,

You asked this same question in 2011. It was answered. See here

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
Highlighted
Author
Level 4
171 119 6 6
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I did pose the question before but I never got it sorted out.   Following what I think you advised I have just right-clicked on SKYPE in my programs list and then on Properties.   There is no mention of administrator under any of the tabs although it appears to offer an opportunity to share.   Nothing comes of that as far I have seen.

Sorry to be such a wuss but, like I said, I'm not much of an expert yet.   Maybe one day?   But thanks for trying to help, so far!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What happens when you:

Start, Control Panel, User Accounts. When it opens, are you listed as Administrator? Here is mine.

User Acct view.jpg

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 4
171 119 6 6
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I get more or less the same as yours.   Shows me as Administrator (with Password protected).   So why does it sometimes deny me the use of it, with comment "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder"?

Brian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can force ownership with this program mod Be sure to either bookmark page, or print it out.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Highlighted
Author
Level 4
171 119 6 6
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for that!   I installed the item and found that I could remove SKYPE from my list of programs.   However, it still shows when I use the Control Panel/ Uninstall process.  I get " The system administrator has set policies to prevent ... etc."  Maybe after rebooting it might be different but time will tell.   I'll get back to you if it has worked!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 4
171 119 6 6
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rebooted but no joy that way.   Control Panel/ Uninstall process still givest " The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."   A further screen states "You do not have sufficient access to uninstall SKYPE 6.1.   Please contact your system administrator."   But I am the administrator, surely?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brain,

The Skype page has this and a link to the manual removal

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation