cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Why have the " All Programs " folders changed to generic folders in the start menu section?

HP Recommended

Compaq Presario  SR161oNx desktop

Windows XP Home SP3

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 526
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello ziggy5059,

Let's try rebuilding your icon cache.

1. Close and save anything that you are working on. This command will kill explorer and restart the computer when completed.

2. Open a command prompt

3. In the command prompt, Type each command line below exactly as is one at a time and press enter after each command.

WARNING: The last command will restart the computer, so be sure to close and save anything that you are working on first.

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A
shutdown /r /f /t 00

4. The IconCache.db file has now been rebuilt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Taskkill not reconized. Did not work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 526
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Open task manager and end the process explorer.exe 

Then run the other command as normal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did not work. Taskkill not reconizied.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 526
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sorry. I wasn't clear enough.

Kill explorer.exe through task manager (if you can).

Then open command prompt and run the command

DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A

After that restart your computer and it will rebuild the icon cache.

Assuming you can kill explorer.exe through task manager.

- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The system cannot find the file specified.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you would like to see public information about the poor quality I have personally experienced, as well as documented, serious business decisions that APPEAR to incentivize sub-contractors to make inferior HP compputers, go to my FaceBook page, Gail Potter, Edgar Springs, MO.  Since this site will censor whatever I write, I am going to use FaceBook to get my experences and observations as a business person and an Accrediated Risk Manager to let all HP customers know EXACTLY who they are dealing with.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation