cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
saintmaur Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why only one monitor connection works?

I have an HDMI connection and a VGS connection both active from my CPU to my HP ZR2240w monitor,  with the HDMI as default connection. But when I boot up, the screen freezes showing the screeensaver. If I shift to AVG the connecction works fine.. In other words, if I have both HDMI and AVG connections active, only AVG will work. Anyone know why that is?

thanks,

saintmaur

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Provost Provost
Provost
76,739 76,155 9,337 20,173
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

No idea how can you connect a "CPU" to a monitor, what is your CPU ? How many monitors do you need ? To help us answer question quicker, please read this:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to/Welcome-Get-started-here/td-p/699035

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
saintmaur Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, I meant connecting the computer to the monitor. I have only one monitor, and am trying to use HDMI and AVG as alternative connections to switch between on a single monitor. Not possible?

thanks,

Saintmaur

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
4,156 3,395 279 525
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello saintmaur,

We need to know what computer you have to be able to identify what it's capable of doing. Also knowing what operating system you are running is going to help determine the issue.

Have you tried uninstalling the video card drive and reinstalling?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
saintmaur Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The computer is a (new) Lenovo H 430, running Windows 7 Home Premium. The graphics system seems to be called HD Graphics Family. The computer has the following video ports: AVG,and HDMI.

The monitor is a (new) HP ZRZ2240w. The monitor has inputs for AVG and HDMI.

I have not reinstalled the video card.

thanks,

saintmaur

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
4,156 3,395 279 525
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello saintmaur,

I want to make sure I understand the issue completely. So on your computer you have a VGA cable connected and an HDMI cable connected that you are swapping on the monitor.

When you plug the HDMI cable in the monitor locks up and freezes, but when you connect the VGA cable to the monitor it doesn't. Correct?

Do this, unplug the VGA cable completely and remove it from the picture and turn off your computer. Connect the HDMI cable to the computer and the monitor and turn it on. Does the monitor lock up and freeze?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
saintmaur Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, you have understood the hookup I have and the 'freezing' of the monitor correctly. When I unhook the VGA cable, as you suggest, the HDMI cable connection works fine. It is only when both cables (VGA and HDM)I are connected  that the screen 'freezes' at the desktop background window..

Thanks for taking an interest in this problem.

best,

saintmaur

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
4,156 3,395 279 525
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Interesting, it seems the computer is "locking" up when trying to switch between the two monitors as if it doesn't have enough resources to switch between the two.

I believe if you had two monitors hooked up to the computer that this issue probably doesn't exist as the computer allocates enough resources from the start. Have you checked to ensure you are running the latest drivers?

For testing purposes you may want to hook two monitors up to the machine and see if the freeze occurs with multiple monitors. If it doesn't then I can almost tell you positively the monitor is not the issue instead it's the computer / video card at that point.

Curiosity have you contacted Lenova about the issue?

- Friendship is magical.
saintmaur Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All good ideas and comments. thanks! I'll try the two monitor idea and ask Lenovo if they freeze up.
best
saintmaur
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation