Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey there!

TLDR: The wifi shuts itself off and is unable to turn itself back on from the Network & Internet menu and then eventually completely goes missing from the system. Once this happens, WIndows 10 will completely freeze if an ethernet cable is not plugged in. Multiple troubleshooting methods have not worked.

-------

Recently, the wifi on my Pavilion 15 has been going in and out. As of yesterday, the wifi now turns on after boot and then completely goes out followed by the OS freezing without restoring. The OS does work if an ethernet cable is plugged in prior to the wifi loss. I thought the Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn wifi adapter was the culprit, but troubleshooting it has not worked.

I have tried updating the drivers, unistalling and reinstalling drivers, uninstalling applications that may effect the wifi such as VPNs, security software, etc., fixing registry keys, rolling back the OS to a restore point prior to the faults, factory reseting the OS, among some other fixes I've seen on these boards for similar problems and nothing works, sadly.

I am at a loss.  Any help or suggestions would be appreicated as my 1 year old HP laptop is now resigned to a desktop that must be cabled at all times in order to work.

Thank you,

Dave

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @DaveS_HP

Thanks for the post and Welcome to HP Forums. 

I see you are facing an issue with the wireless card on your notebook running on Windows 10. Glad to help.

Could you share the product number of your notebook?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own to fix the issue.

Recommend you to run the troubleshooter from the control panel to check if it fixes the issue for you.

Also, run HP Support Assistant to check for drivers and to diagnose issues. Click here

If possible, reseat the wireless card and check. 

When you uninstall the wireless adapter from the device manager, you will have the option to delete the driver. Please delete it and restart the computer. 

Also, refer this HP Forums post for other options. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding.  The product number is : L2W56EA#ABU

I've tried all of those trouble shooting methods to no avail. All of them at least twice. It's very strange because the system works perfectly normal as long as it is booted up with the ethernet cable plugged in. When this is done, the wireless card does work for a random period of time as I can see wifi networks available for a short period after Windows is loaded and operating. In then drops completely and never turns on again. Also, if I unplug the ethernet cable after the wifi is lost, the system will freeze just like it does if it was never plugged in from the start.

I'm assuming it must be a hardware issue and not a software/driver issue? This HP isn't built like the older models where you could remove a few screws to get to the guts to tinker. I'm guessing it won't be easy to replace the wireless card, if that is the necessary next step?

HP Recommended

@DaveS_HP

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed.

You're right about replacing the WiFi card, however, before you do that, perhaps you could attempt this last step:

• You need to go into the BIOS, advanced menu, device configuration sub-menu and enable the LAN-WLAN switching setting.
  • Save the setting where you made the change by hitting the F10 key and again when you exit (save settings and exit).
  • The default is on to conserve battery power (no need to have the WLAN card using power when you are connected by wire and this may have happened after a recent update).
  • Of course most of the time you are connected to an ethernet cable, you are also connected to an a/c adapter. 

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Riddle.  I apologize for the late reply, but I had to step away from the system for a day or two after hitting so many roablocks.

Ah yes, the BIOS option. I looked into this earlier into my troubleshooting but I couldn't access/find the advanced menu after going into BIOS. I tried some work arounds, but many of instructions I found warned against trying to unlock the advanced and power tabs in this BIOS. Maybe I'm researching the wrong method? What do you recommend?

To note the BIOS is Insyde F.36 which only has the four tabs along the top Main, Security, Diagnostics, System Configuration

Thanks,

Dave

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to update BIOS for your computer. The version available on our website is F.43 Rev.A recommend you to update BIOS and install all other updates meant for your computer. Run a system test to make sure all the components are working correctly. Click here to know more.

Let me know how it goes.

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Chimney.

I had forgotten to redownload all the updates when I rolled back the system.  Downloaded all the updates, network drivers (again), and downloaded and installed the updated UEFI to run the tests.

BIOS still does not give me an option to select advanced settings so I am unable to try to turn it on/off from that option. Ran the UEFI quick test and everything passed. Shall I run the extensive or is that unnecessary?

I also ran all the component tests. Oddly enough I was unable to run a component test on the network as it would not allow me to. Also in the BIOS under the system configuration, there is an "!" next to the network adapater which I think means it is disabled.

System still freezes when unpluged from the ethernet and this last time I booted up the wifi network wasn't even showing up in the network settings. This has happened before and I'm unable to figure out why on one boot up it will be there but eventually drop and the next boot up it will be missing altogether.

I'm in your hands...

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you try to enable the wireless adapter from the device manager. If the issue persists. Recommend you to check the antenna connection on the wireless card. If you are comfortable in reseating the wireless card please do reseat the card and check the antenna connection. You can also run a diagnostics on the wireless card using HP Support Assistant.

Keep me posted. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey there Chimney!  Sadly no progress...

1. Tried Device Manager, it was already turned on after initial boot. Unplugged ethernet cable. Wifi connection disappeared after 5 minutes, OS froze, had to hard reboot.

2. Ran a diagnostics and a full 4 hour system scan... returned with no problems identified.

3. As much as I want to open up the HP Pavilion 15 and tinker inside, I don't think I want to try and reseat the card. I'm thinking about just going with a wifi usb adapter as the quick and easier fix. Would there be any conflict with the other wireless adapter... when it is on and operating of course.

4. I think we've exhausted the non-hardware routes, unless you have  any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi @DaveS_HP,

Thanks for replying,

I really appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have followed all the steps suggested in the previous post and still having the issue, let me go ahead and assist you from here.

(Would there be any conflict with the other wireless adapter... when it is on and operating of course). Answering to your question, this will not interfere, you could go ahead and disable the wireless card which is present on the computer it should work fine. 

Since you have run the test and everything seems to have worked fine, this indicates a software issue, I would suggest before you go ahead and purchase an external USB  WI-FI adapter, you could try to perform a system recovery using the partition available on your PC. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. If for some reason it fails this could be due to either the partition is corrupted or system file might be missing. 

Link to perform system recovery: Click here

The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.