Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Does anyone know if the HP Z800 workstation is able to take the Intel Xeon X5690 processor? If so, when buying this processor, what other accessories should I be considering so that it'll work properly?

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

According to the Z800 data sheet, the X5690 is supported.

This is a high power Xeon and has a max TDP of 130W so you need a high capacity heatsink with these hot CPU's. I believe not all heatsinks are the same...

Others may be able to specify exact part numbers..

HP Recommended

Look at the 1 in. white barcode label, located below the large IOH heatsink.  If it has "AS#460838-003", it can take the Intel 56xx (and 55xx) series processors.  If it has "AS#460838-001", it only takes the Intel 55xx series processors. 

I do not kow if a higher power heatsink is required. 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Dan has provided the HP part number for the Z800 motherboard version that will accept those faster X5690 6-core processors, which run at 130 watts max TDP.  There is only one sSpec code for that processor, SLBVX.  You can look that up on the Intel Ark site by googling "X5690 xeon" and seeing that the current price from Intel is about $1660 USD.  Best price on eBay used right now is about $1200.  That is the "top dog" processor in the March 2013 Z800 QuickSpec HP-certified processor list Skylarking links to.  Make sure to have the latest BIOS loaded to get the latest HP processor microcode list available during boot.

Regarding the "high performance" heatsink/fan for the workstation..... there is the regular performance one that is easy to find, and then I have also found info on the high performance ones.  Those, with the higher HP assembly/spare part numbers, have a higher and deeper profile overall, with significantly more cooling surface area and a bigger fan.  Their width looks the same, as you'd expect given the space limitations for the dual sockets on the motherboard in that fixed side-to-side dimension.

The regular version has a "wing" of heatsink fin surface area projecting off to the left (when viewed from the front), and its fan is smaller (only crossing from base plate screw to base plate screw).  The "Performance" version has that small wing area filled out from front to back so the whole left side projects leftward, and the fan and heatsink now cross from the right base plate screw to beyond the left base plate screw..... significantly bigger fan, likely 92mm instead of 80mm.  Two of those side to side look to be a tight fit, and engineered to get maximum surface area to just barely fit in place together.

These two versions each have their fans topping out at the upper edge of the heatsink, so the higher performance version is also taller given that its fan is bigger.  The interspace between the base plate screws is a fixed reference (they both attach to the same processor socket).  From that I'd guess there is a shift from 80x80x15mm to 92x92x15mm fans.  Note that the same part under the HP listing method will virtually always have two part numbers (assembly versus spares part numbers).  Thus, on eBay I usually search under both numbers for a part if I have both available.

Older regular heatsink part numbers         versus         "Performance" heatsink/fan part numbers

463990-001                                                                                463991-001

535586-001                                                                                535588-001

(Bottom picture below)                                                           (Top picture below)

Smaller fan, and smaller fan grill screws                         Unique shape of outer rim of larger fan grill, big fin grill screws

Two heatsink tubes crossing bottom                                Three heatsink tubes crossing bottom

5 pin motherboard plug, wires used                                  5 pin motherboard plug, ground jumper wire from pin 1 to 5

As was the case with the xw8600 the use of the pin 1 to pin 5 ground jumper wire in the Performance heatsink case seems to be the main way that the motherboard knows that there is a Performance heatsink/fan present.  The motherboard also may be able to detect the larger fan being present in this case.

The HP "assembly part number" versus "spare part number" here start with 4 versus 5 respectively, and you can search under all those numbers for best pictures and prices.  You often can find the pictures of parts on the HP parts surfer site using a HP spare number search once you have that (the numbers above that start with 5).

Below are two pics; high performance version at top with bigger fan and larger dimensions.  The regular performance fan is at the bottom.    Note how the performance heatsink and fan are shifted to the left (when viewed from front.... the fan side).This shift had to be designed in or the larger performance heatsink/fan right hand side would be impinging on the adjacent fan shrouds for the memory cooling system.  The smaller regular performance heatsink/fan can be centered on the socket mounting plate because it has enough room to fit without being shifting leftward.

Of interest, the Z400 has enough room around its single socket that its "performance" heatsink does not need to be shifted leftward.  It has a different part number.  That one will fit on the Z400 but not on the primary socket of the Z600 because it impinges on the memory fan shroud plastic parts.  It can, however, fit on the secondary socket of the Z600 if you bend its rear air deflection plate down vertical.

Here are two pictures of the higher Performance Z600 Z800 heatsink/fan which is larger and can handle processors with max TDP greater than 95W.  Note the fan grill.... its shape is unique to this heatsink/fan combo:

Performance heatsink larger fan.JPG

In contrast the unit below is an official Z600 Z800 "Mainstream" heatsink/fan rated for up to and including 95W max TDP processor.  Side by side this one is smaller overall, with less heat tubes for cooling and lesser overall surface area:

original.jpg 

HP Recommended
High performance heatsinks or liquid cooling (dual cpu only for liquid cooling) and board revision 591182-001 for 130w 6 core cpus. Use the HP Parts Surfer (google it) and enter your Z800 part number for example: FF825AV. Heatsinks and liquid cooling units are going to be cheapest directly from HP. Really, not kidding. Cheers!
HP Recommended

Very handy info, Z820.... thanks.  Here's a bit of clarification.  Dan provided us a part number to look for, and that is the "assembly" part number of AS#460838-003.  What is seen in the HP Partsurfer system is the "spares" part number of SP#591182-001.  Where is the decoder ring to figure out the SP# if one only has the AS#?  I don't know of an official HP source, but eBay can help.

Here is that latest generation motherboard Dan and Z820 refer to, from the Z800 Partsurfer listing.... it is the bottom one, with the highest Spares part number.  That is the same one that will have the added capabilities and have the latest Boot Block date, and be able to run both the 56xx and 55xx processors listed in the latest QuickSpecs for the Z800.  This same method works for finding the latest motherboards for the Z600 and Z620 (not shown):

Z800 motherboards 2013.12.jpg

Here is the image capture from one of those off eBay, showing the label Dan refers to.... zoom in and squint:

Z800 MB.jpg

Over time I have found eBay to be a source to find the Spares part numbers from an Assembly part number, and vice versa.  This motherboard is/was on eBay for $175.00 USD, by the way.  If you know both the AS and the SP part numbers you sometimes can find the item listed on eBay under one of those but not the other.  If you buy through the HP Partsurfer you'll not have to worry about dealing with used parts, etc, of course.  Agree that those prices are very fair for new equipment, Z820.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/

Here's a new one that has the plastic protector covers over the delicate processor socket pins..... the little sticker you'd be looking at is up by the heatsink towards the top right corner:

$_12.jpg

HP Recommended

Just took my z800 out of service and upgraded to a z620, should have gone with a z820/z840 but its still a decent computer, raid 5 on the side drives got the 2 into 1 up front with samsung ssd 850 evo, it screams.

My question is on the Z800 Motherboard, my original board died and HP replaced it, I have an e5520 in this box and want to upgrade.

I have an 460838-002 so am I out of luck for the 56XXX's???

Look at the 1 in. white barcode label, located below the large IOH heatsink.  If it has "AS#460838-003", it can take the Intel 56xx (and 55xx) series processors.  If it has "AS#460838-001", it only takes the Intel 55xx series processors. 

I do not kow if a higher power heatsink is required. 

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
HP Recommended

Hi;

your question about additional Processor :

Intel® Xeon® Processor X5690 6C 3.46 GHz, 130W, 12M cache, 6.40GT/s QPI, DDR3 1333MHz, HT, Turbo

you can reqeust the following Option Kit:

LB217AA

where it requires  1110W Power supply. So please check your power supply since Z800 delivered either with 850W or 1110W

HP Recommended

Hi,

I do have the 1100 Watt PSU, just want to make sure that I can use the 56XX Processors, another post said this

Here is the best way to determine what procesors a Z800 supports.  

Go into the F10 BIOS BIOS settings, and look at the Boot Block Date in System Information.
     If the boot block date is 01/30/2009, the system only supports the Intel 55xx processors.
     If the boot block date is 11/10/2009, the system supports both Intel 55xx and 56xx processors.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.

I have the Boot Block Date of 1/30/2009 so based on the info above I cant use a 56XX, if that information is incorrect that would be great and I will drop a X5680/90 in with the High Performance HSF.

As mentioned before the installed processor is E5520 so its the 55xx generation...
HP Recommended

hello fellows,

Does Anyone know what type of heatsink coulb be used with Intel Xeon X5690 CPU?

I need to upgrade my Z800 with two of these processors.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.