Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
vicicarus Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Will adding second CPU improve speed(Z600 workstation)?

Z600
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Thank you in advance for any and all help provided,

My father gave me a "Z600 workstation" that he is not going to use anymore(retired). I noticed that this unit can have a dual CPU setup. My question is if I can use this unit for gaming. Can I set up the rig with 2 CPU for better gaming performance?  I am aware of GPU and RAMM upgrades but not to sure if it's even possible to run the 2 CPU at the same time? Will having the 2 CPU increase the GHz speed from 2.13GHz - 4.26GHz?

system :

HP Z600 Workstation

Intel Xeon E5506 (1x)@2.13GHz

3GB DDR3 RAMM

Windows 8.1 Pro

Boot Block Date 01/30/09 B3-based system

3 REPLIES
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5021
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post

Hi,

Don't waste your time even if you get a free second CPU.  Most gaming applications will not take advantage of mutiple processors more or less the four cores in the E5506.  Your best bet is to find the biggest graphics card that will work in your work station along with adding more RAM.  I wouldn't go more than 8 GB if you can do so cheaply.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to spend a more of $$ on older technology.

0 Kudos
vicicarus Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post

Thank you so much for the reply, so this PC is not worth much to upgrade? What could I use this multi CPU PC for if not for gaming? Dual CPU sounds like an awsome feature.

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5021
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post

Hi,

Yes dual physical CPUs do sound awesome.  Applications such as data base processing and online transaction processing are well suited for multiple physical CPUs.  Some scientific simulation applications will also take advantage of multiple physical CPUs.  MS server software is well suited for multiple physical CPUs.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation