Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

I have an somewhat old M3970CM motherboard (in a box running) which I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10

It has the M370CM motherboard.  The power supply in my XP box (much much older) has gone, and I was wondering if the Angelic - M3970CM motherboard could be used to run windows XP (either 32 or 64 bit)

The board has an AMD FX-6200 chip with I believe the AMD 970 chipset

Sherm

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

> The power supply in my XP box (much much older) has gone.

It still should be possible to replace the power-supply.

Best idea:  find an owner/operator computer-store, and take your XP desktop system there.

Ask them to rummage through their pile of "dead" Windows XP systems, looking for one with a suitable power-supply.

Cannibalize the power-supply from that computer, and connect it to your system, to see if it works in your tower.

If they can produce one that works, buy it.

Note that Microsoft ended support for Windows XP in April 2014,

and will end support for Windows Vista on April 11, 2017 (next week!).

So, it's time to "bury" (or "responsibly recycle") your old XP system.

There do exist external adapters (IDE disk to USB connector) to temporarily connect your XP disk-drive to your current system.  About $20 US.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes you can run XP on the motherboard. You will need to find most of the drivers, however you can use windows 7 for most part which you can find here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187019

It will be a powerfull XP machine as the motherboard also works well with windows 7 and probably windows 10.

If you need any help with drivers let me know,

David

HP Recommended

I have already performed a power supply bypass - btw that doesn't require a power supply from an XP box, just ANY power supply that is big enough.

The system doesn't complete the boot cycle - that is what I meant when I said it took the motherboard with it.

Although that might be a software clitch with windows crashing.

HP Recommended

Iomare,

Thanks for the response.  Glad to hear that the windows 7 drivers should probably work.

The fact that I should get alot more horsepower out of the box than the dead xp box is one of the reasons for

doing this rather than trying to fix the XP box.   I'll probably try to replace the power supply and see if it is just a simple

software clitch that is keeping it from booting (tried the bypass already).  I don't wanna spend money trying to fix a dead almost 15 year old motherboard.

using a board that has an AMD FX-6200 gets up and gos more than a Intel Core 2.

Do have an older RS780M03G1 board that would still be an improvement but not as much as the Angelica Board.

---

I do realize that Microsoft has ended support for XP - and yes both of these other two systems do run and have windows 10 loaded.  But there is other hardware on the dead XP box that won't move forward.

Sherm

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.