Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion desktop 550-126na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I set up a new HP PC (Pavilion)  with Widows 10 Home preinstalled in September 2016. The anniversary edition automatically downloaded and installed in October so I am now running build 1607 Since the anniversary update was installed I have been unable to install any other cumulative updates. Download is fine but at the configuration stage  all cumulative updates have  reached 15% and then failed.

After numerous timeous attempts to retry I have used winshowhide and hidden the updates to avoid the switching on and switching off hassle when reattempts are made. I have tried various forums and manual downloads and installation all to no avail. All updates other than the cumulative have installed without problem.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Turn off your computer.

Turn on your computer, and look for a message like "press <blah> to run HP hardware diagnostics".

Press that <blah> key.

Run the diagnostics, focusing on the RAM and the disk-drive.

Tell us if it reports any problems.

HP Recommended

I get no message to run hardware diagnostics and cannot find how to do it.

HP Recommended

> I get no message to run hardware diagnostics and cannot find how to do it.

Turn the computer off.

Turn the computer on, and immediately and repeatedly press one key.

The key could either be ESC, or F1, or F2, or F10, or F11, or F12, or DEL.

One of those keys will be the correct one.

HP Recommended

I have found lenghty way to get into Hardware diagnostics but am a bit worried about losing data.

There is a number of computers that have the same problem and I am convinced it is a software problem not hardware. I think the Anniversary update either left bad data  or failed to install a vital piece of data that is now preventing the configuration of the updates.

Sorry if I am a bit wimpish but I have a little knowledge and that can be a dangerous thing.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.