cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
NOIL
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 1 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 Reset pc to go back to Win7 lost all files plus still stuck on windows 10

I have a pc was windows 7 

I upgraded to windows 10 when the update came out but didnt use my pc for some time after,

I came back to my pc to make music with reason 5, reason didnt work no more on windows 10! cost me £250 so i was dissapointed at the least with this issue, so,

I tried to go back to windows 7, before the update to win10

#Ive actualy reset my pc, and now lost all my program files and features that came with the pc new aswell as my purchased products. 

I cant seem to go back anyway. This is realy frustrating, As my pc has become useless to me now all my programs data ect has gone and I cant find no way of restoring it to how it was before i updated it to windows 10.

That is what i need to do, go back to the point just before i upgraded to windows 10.

to get all my software, data ect back.

I have a bad feeling ive totaly destroyed my home studio by firstly going to win10, thern by trying to go back and reseting.

I have a long log list of removed apps, all my missing content ! but dont see how im supposed to get it back as its just a document.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. many thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Level 15
Level 15
9,795 9,791 924 2,677
Message 2 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 Reset pc to go back to Win7 lost all files plus still stuck on windows 10

There was a provision to go back to Windows 7 after the Windows 10 upgrade, but it had to be done within 30 days and had to be done from within the Windows interface.  It sounds as though the "reset" was done another way.   What method was used to go back to Windows 7?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
NOIL
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 3 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I never seen no provision, but I didnt use my pc for some time after update, I never realised what had happened to my pc until this must have passed.

I did pc reset in hope it would take me back to windows 7. instead im now on a clean computer windows 10 still, all my software documents ect have gone, and i cant seem to find a way to restore at all ...

can i restore to the point before i upgraded to windows 10 now ?

Absolutely gutted with what has happened to my pc since updating to windows 10.

Its completely stripped from the inside as to put it ... no memory of restore points ect ??!?

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
9,795 9,791 924 2,677
Message 4 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It would seem if you did a Windows 10 reset, then the only chance you have would be a recovery software.  The files might still be on the drive but surely some have been overwritten.  Assuming there is no backup of the things you are looking for, you are probably not going to get much back.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

0 Kudos
NOIL
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 5 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

gutted if I cant get back...

In restore there are no backups at all i can see anymore

I do have a dvd i made, the pc asked me to when it was brand new,

however i put the dvd in and nothing ? i try to restore from the drive dvd but nothing can be found ?

I dont understand how i should use this dvd still,

many thanks for your time and assistance

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
9,795 9,791 924 2,677
Message 6 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the original post "I tried to go back to windows 7, before the update to win10

#Ive actualy reset my pc, and now lost all my program files and features that came with the pc"

Just how did this process go.  Please explain the steps that were done.  Also please explain "I do have a dvd i made, the pc asked me to when it was brand new"

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
NOIL
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I wanted to go back to windows 7, ( to the state my pc was in before the update to windows 10 )

I had updated to windows 10 from win7 and then not used my pc for some time after the update.

so when I came back to my pc, i realised my software did no longer work with the update, I wanted to go back to before the update.

I tried to find restore points ect but nothing could be found.

* I went > Settings >Reset This PC (hoping it would reinstall the original win7 software)

but I have windows 10 still, no program software or documents ect, I have a massive list of 'removed apps' as a document on desktop the pc made on reset.

Now I cannot find a way back at all.

ive tried to download windows 7 software from microsoft with the product key off the side of my pc. but it says

ERROR the product key you entered appears to be fpr software pre installed by the device manufacture. please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

I just wanted to go back to windows 7 as my computer worked fully before the update, I feel so stupid for doing the update now.

When i got the pc, the pc suggested i make a backup, a dvd, i made this dvd, i just put in the dvd when requested to by the pc, but this dvd has no effect on pc, it contains some files but i dont understand it much.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
9,795 9,791 924 2,677
Message 8 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Assuming the disk you made when the PS was new is a Recovery disk, then it would install an active Windows 7 install, but the software you are looking for will not be there.  In order to use that disk, change the boot order in the setup menu to the DVD drive.

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
NOIL
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 9 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In order to use that disk, change the boot order in the setup menu to the DVD drive.

how do I do this ?

0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,646
Message 10 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm trying to understand the "chronology".  Is this correct?

1. You purchased a computer with Windows 7.

2. You created some files on a DVD-recordable disk.

3. You installed your own software, and created some files.

4. You upgraded to Windows 10.

5. The upgrade to Windows 10 brought forward your files, and only _SOME_ of your software.  Which ones were "lost" ?

6. The upgrade turned off "System Protection", so that no "System Restore Checkpoints" have been created, and you did not enable "System Protection".  Note that such checkpoints only protect the Operating System's files, and any files & folders stored on your "Desktop" -- not files in your "My Documents" folder.

7. You used "reset my PC" to reload Windows 10 on top of itself.  Did that process delete your personal files?

8. You tried to reinstall Windows 7.  How far did that proceed, before asking for the 25-character product key?

Presumably, not far, since your computer is still running Windows 10.

Correct?

Any idea "where" you lost your files? your programs?

Other persons have suggested running a "file recovery" program.  It would scan _every_ block of your disk-drive, looking for files that still are stored, but those files no longer are listed in the "table of contents" for the disk-drive.

Compare to taking a cookbook, and having a young child rip out the "table of contents" and scribble on top of some of the pages -- you need to go through the cookbook, page by page, to slowly find a specific recipe, and you might not be able to read the scribbled-on page -- the full recipe cannot be read.

That "recovery" software will write the "recovered" files to external media (USB memory-stick or external disk-drive).

Have that media ready, before launching the "recovery" software.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation