Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JS32 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 Upgrade / Audio Sound - Terrible Quality

HP ENVY 700-216
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About one week ago from today's date my computer automatically updated from W8.1 to W10, and since then the audio speaker sound quality has noticeable dissipated.  Previously, I enjoyed a listening to music with a stereo sound quality, and since the update the sound quality mimics a transistor radio (AM).  I have went into the device manager; scanned for hardware updates; uninstalled and reinstalled the driver; changed the sample rate and bit depeth within the Playback devices tab; reached out to MS for answers.  Unfortunately, nothing is working and I believe the solution is to update the sound card from the Manufacturer.  I have input my model type in the HP support and driver download section, but I do not know which specific software to choose?  Also, I have referred to my HP assistant icon and it tells me everything is update to date for my device.  Hopefully, someone out there with experience can give me the proper directions to solve the issue. I have searched the HP support forum, and I see there are others who have had a similar experience.  Thank you in advance.

JS.  

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
102332 14243 21885
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the link to the W10 audio driver from your PC's support page.  Install and restart the PC.

This package provides the Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe

0 Kudos
JS32 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.  Followed the instructions and still getting a tinny - treble heavy sound quality.  I went into the device manager after restarting the PC via the install and here is what I see:

• High Definition Audio Device (shaded)
  • IDT High Definition Audio CODEC IDT (non-shaded)
  • IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Tempo (non-shaded)

Please confirm if I need to uninstall the first two drivers, leaving only the CODEC Tempo.  I am thinking this is necessary to have your solution in place, and hopefully the stereo sound quality that I am after.  I do not want to uninstall anything until I know for certain.  Please confirm what you can.

JS.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
102332 14243 21885
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I figured the driver would just correct the problem, so unfortunately, I cannot offer any concrete advice as to how you should proceed.

I have a HP notebook with W10 and the IDT audio, and when I look in the device manager (under sound video and game controllers), I only see the IDT High Definition Audio Codec.

My notebook does not have the Beats/Tempo audio.

So, I would agree with your logic that you would get rid of all but the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Tempo devices, and see what happens.

0 Kudos
JS32 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

By far, this has been one of the most annoying experiences I have encountered with an OS upgrade.  How could the sound quality be so defective because of this upgrade?  I don't know whether it's the "experts" at HP or MS that glossed over this problem, but I am seriously pissed off!  Listening to music on my computer (used) to be a nice respite from a long day.  Unfortunately, that has been taken away, because "technology" must continue moving forward.  Now, I am quelled to typing out my anger on a computer keyboard.  What a joke!  The ONLY thing in this world that is more unreliabe then "technology" are the people in charge of maintaining it.    

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
102332 14243 21885
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, it is unfortunate that these things happen.

I would imagine your only recourse at this point would be to purchase an inexpensive PCI express x1 audio card that works with W10 to overcome the problem.

All I can say is that many HP desktop PC's with that IDT audio chip are having lots of issues with W10 based on my reading the many posts on this forum.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation