Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Windows 10 upgrade killed my desktop

HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1420t
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1

My HP Pavilion was purchased with Windows 8.0 and updated to 8.1.

I started the windows 10 upgrade and now my desktop will not boot:

1. The upgrade seemed to be working fine until it started placing my software application icons on a blacked out screen.
  2. The upgrade process placed all of the software icons on the screen.
  3. The screen would then go black and the process of placing icons on the screen would start over.
  4. I allowed the placing of the icons on the screen to loop for about an hour before I tried to stop the upgrade process.
  5. I had to turn the computer off by pressing and holding the on/off button.
  6. When I turned the computer back on the screen came up with recovery options.
  7. I chose the option that would allow me to go back to Windows 8.1.
  8. I clicked restore Windows 8.1 and the computer screen went black and did not boot up.
  9. I turned the computer off by pressing and holding the on/off button.

My desktop has never booted up again. The computer powers up, the fans are running but there is no Hard Drive, DVD Drive and USB drive activity and nothing shows up on the screen (black).

Purchased a new Joshua motherboard:

After replacing the motherboard and its component parts from the old motherboard, I crossed my fingers and started the computer. To my surprise, the computer booted up and completed the windows 10 upgrade I had started previously. After some tweaking, the computer seemed to be working fine. However, I noticed that there were some quirks in the windows 10 operating system that were annoying. So, I decided to go back to windows 8.1

1. I started the recovery process and the screen with the recovery options was displayed.
  2. I chose the option that would allow me to go back to Windows 8.1.
  3. I clicked restore Windows 8.1 and the computer screen went black.
  4. I turned the computer off by pressing and holding the on/off button.

When I turn the computer back on, I got the same results as before, The computer powers up, the fans are running but there is no Hard Drive, DVD Drive and USB drive activity and nothing shows up on the screen (black).

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,686 9,594 777 3,597
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome !

To be honest, it is really hard for me to believe that any software installation (even Windows installation) can break your motherboard and it is hard for me to realize how replacing the board fixes booting issues. Any kind of BIOS upgrades that happened in the meantime ?

Anyway, I hope your HP recovery partitions are intact and working fine, as well as your BIOS. Actually, I am not 100% sure if this will work after the board replacement since it is not the original one but you may try to recover your computer to factory default condition. Here are more details how this may be achieved:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvVv8G1tzGY

Your feedback and update are important. Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks
I am an HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** My location: Europe *** HP Expert - Volunteer
This video shows how to use HP System Recovery on Windows 8 HP Desktop PCs to return your computer's software back to the way it was when it was first purcha...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,686 9,594 777 3,597
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

* If the above does not work, you can bring or ship your PC to the nearest HP authorized service center where the technicians can help you fix it. If you are not sure where such a center is located, you can contact HP Support and the agents wil guide you. Here is more information :

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730

Your feedback and update are important. Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks
I am an HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** My location: Europe *** HP Expert - Volunteer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I thought the motherboard was broken before I purchased a new one. However, my computer worked after I installed the new board. That indicates to me that the old board was fine. My computer will not boot. The computer powers up, the fans are running but there is no Hard Drive, DVD Drive and USB drive activity and nothing shows up on the screen (black). It died after installing the new board just like it did the first time while trying to go back to win 8.1. Therefore, the actions you suggested to fix my computer can't be performed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,686 9,594 777 3,597
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the clarifications.

Yes, I suspected these may not be performed because they required you either to boot to Windows or access to the original board and BIOS/UEFI functions. Since the board is replaced, these may not work.  I'd suggest you contact HP authorized service center so that they check the machine on-site and see what could be done.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation