Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 43 (13,874 Views)

Windows 7 recovery discs fail for new hard drive

I got a message on my Pavilion p6210f that my hard drive was about to fail so I begrudgingly bought a new WD Caviar Green 1TB drive.  I ordered Windows 7 recovery discs from HP, installed the new hard drive which shows up correctly when I boot the computer.  

My first problem was that I used the disc that says "Use this first!" and "SSRD update 94.120309" which would take a couple of minutes to load, then the disc will eject and show a picture which seems to represent putting in a new disc.  As I have seen someone else post before, it is unclear which disc to put in next.  There are four other discs, two of which are labeled "System Recovery Disc 1 of 3".  I even called tech support and the man that I had a hard time understanding kept asking if I had a disc that said "Use me" (?) until the call dropped mysteriously.  

My second problem is that no matter what disc I put in next, absolutely nothing happens.  And then once I try 2-3 different discs, my CD/DVD drive locks up and won't eject.  I did read somewhere that this can be a problem and you might have to try multiple times, but I have yet to have success at this.

My third problem is now when I try again to get back to load the first recovery disc, I get a message that says "Windows Boot Manager - Windows has had a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer - This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing.  Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.  If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hard manufacturer.  Status 0xc00000e9.  Info:  An unexpected I/0 error has occurred."

Now I only get this message.  I only have my monitor, mouse and keyboard plugged in.  My hard drive is brand new.  Is my CD/DVD drive shot too on my 1.5 year old computer?  I don't want to get a new one now that I'm not so sure I even needed a new hard drive.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 43 (13,817 Views)

Re: Windows 7 recovery discs fail for new hard drive

[ Edited ]

1.Use me first disc is the one which has to be used first while performing recovery using hp shipped recovery disc and you have initiated it in the right way.

2.The recovery disc should be named in the following way;

Suppose they have shipped you 4 discs then it should be named as follows: disc 1 of 4,disc 2 of 4,disc 3 of 4 and disc4 of 4.If not named properly you might have to contact support and complaint about the same.

3.cd/DVD drive locks up-I recommend you to try using other type of disc in the drive to confirm the optical drive does not have any issues.

4. to avoid the error Status 0xc00000e9

Format the new hard drive on other working PC and then connect it back to this pc.

Recommended Precautions for Running Recovery:

•             The instructions will explain how to back up your personnel data (pictures, movies, Microsoft Office files, etc.).  These files will be erased during recovery and must be replaced from your back up files, after the recovery is completed.

•             The instructions will explain to only have your keyboard, mouse, and monitor attached during recovery.    If other devices (printers, cameras, Ethernet cable for internet connection) are connected during recovery, the recovery process may stop and appear to have failed.

•             The instructions will also guide you to not touch the keyboard or mouse, during the recovery process.  This step prevents the recovery process from seeming to stop or fail.

•             If Recovery process seems to have stopped or failed, start a fresh recovery from the set of discs.

Adding to the above instructions, the below mentioned link will provide you with the step-by-step instructions on how a recovery on a HP Unit.

Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows 7

Link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418

Hema
Intern
Message 3 of 43 (13,810 Views)

I understand your fustration with this. I found a trick that might work.

This process clears all information from the hard drive to prepare the hard drive for system recovery.

1. Enter the system BIOS and select the Boot menu.

2. Change the startup (boot) order so the computer starts from the first optical drive (CD-ROM/ATAPI CD-ROM/DVD). You may need to enter a sub-menu called Boot Device Priority .

3. Insert Disk 1 of the System Recovery disk set in the first (top) optical drive.

4. Press F10 , then press Enter to save the changes and restart the computer.

When the PC restarts, it reads from the Recovery CD, and displays a screen of options (typically R , F , and Q ).

5. Press and hold the Ctrl key, and press the Backspace key. The Manufacturer Menu is displayed.

Manufacturer Menu:

<1> boot from drive 1

<2> Start recovery program on CD/DVD

<3> boot Floppy a:

<4> clear the partition table of drive 1

<5> erase the Master Boot Record of drive 1

<6> wipe all sectors of drive 1

<7> create a primary partition on drive 1

<8> create a SmartImage partition on drive 1

<9> Install ST Master Boot Record

<A> Install Standard Master Boot Record

<S> Save DMI Sysinfo to drive 1

<T> Test the system RAM for defects

<ESC> restart this CDROM

NOTE: Drive 1 may be shown as 0x80 in the menu of earlier versions.Not all options shown in the list below will be available for some PCs.

• Select option clear the partition table .

The following message appears: No Operating System Installed or Partition CorruptedPress "R" to perform a full system recovery .

Do not press R . Instead, press and hold ctrl , then press Backspace to bring up the Tools Menu.

• Select option erase the Master Boot Record of drive .

The following message appears: No Operating System Installed or Partition CorruptedPress "R" to perform a full system recovery .

Do not press R . Instead press and hold down ctrl , then press Backspace to bring up the Tools Menu.

NOTE: If there are no partitions, the following message appears: No MBR or master boot record found .Continue using these steps.
  • Select option wipe all sectors of drive .

An Erasing Hard Drive progress bar will appear. This process will take approximately from 15 minutes to over one hour, depending on the size of the hard drive.

When the hard drive is completely erased, the following message is displayed:

No Operating System Installed or Partition CorruptedPress "R" to perform a full system recovery

• Press R to begin the automatic System Recovery process.

•  

NOTE: This procedure requires that you have a set of System Recovery CDs or DVDs for the computer. Also, the Manufacturer Menu is only available on Summer 2002 and newer models. The Manufacturer Menu is not available for System Recovery performed from the hidden partition.

CAUTION: If an additional hard drive has been installed, disconnect the power and IDE cables from the additional drive. This is necessary to prevent data loss on the added hard drive.
    Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
    Master's Graduate
    Message 4 of 43 (13,804 Views)

You might want to try to go into system BIOS at startup and change the IDE mode of your storage controller from RAID or AHCI mode to IDE mode and see if that allows you to recover.    Some of the newer 6G "Advanced Format" drives need newer storage drivers than exist on the recovery software. 

You should be able to switch to AHCI or RAID mode later  after you're up and running (requires a registry tweak to tell Windows t recheck for a different storage mide driver to avoid 0x7b errors - you can google that - or ping me back here).   You probably should also install the latest storage driver from Microsoft or the chipset vendor at that time, as well as all Microsoft updates/QFEs from WindowsUpdate.

Please let me know how this works for you - I'm looking to create a white paper for this going forward, and would appreciate any feedback....

-DM (while I"m a long-time HP employee, the comments/suggestions here are my own, not my employer's)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
    Tutor
    Message 5 of 43 (13,787 Views)

I saw all of these suggestions and was excited to try them out when to my consternation I discovered that now my PC has degenerated to the point where the very first screen will show when I boot it up and then it will not proceed further.  It has the option of pressing F10 to go into the setup, but nothing happens.  I double checked to see my keyboard was plugged in.  I will keep trying, because I have seen that not all reboots are equal.  Any further suggestions for this new problem--I can't try anything suggested here until I can at least get to the BIOS setup screen.

Teacher
    Message 6 of 43 (13,774 Views)

hi,

I recommend you to disconnect the hard drive and then try to enter the setup.

If the system boots to bios with hard drive disconnected then we might have relook into the newly installed hard drive and its compability with the PC.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Hema
    Provost
    Message 7 of 43 (13,746 Views)

It's the HP tattoo. Call HP and ask for the DMI utility.

http://www.royalgeeks.com/blog/tag/recovery-disk-install-error-1012/

If you change the HDD from outside HP, then the HP recovery disk will not work with that HDD, as all the parts in HP PC are tattooed together.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served.
    Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

Loaner: Envy Omen Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 7th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M 8GB Discrete Graphics (16GB RAM) 512GB m.2 SSD
    HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
    (2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
    Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
    Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme8GB, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ
    Provost
    Message 8 of 43 (13,741 Views)

[ Edited ]

@wb2001

"all the parts in HP PC are tattooed together"  is not true.The only tattoo I am aware of is in the BIOS which is used to id the machine as an HP and eligible to use HP Recovery Disks. Having owned HP machines for years, I have replaced many hdds with retail hdd and used Recovery Disks to reinstall. The only HP with original hdd I have is a laptop.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
    ***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***
    Teacher
    Message 9 of 43 (13,731 Views)

Hi,

When I told compatiblity I never meant DMI or motherboard tatto. I just wanted you to check if the systemboad has the capacity to hadle the upgraded new hard drive.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Hema
    Provost
    Message 10 of 43 (13,725 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Hemalatha

I was commenting on the post by "wb2001" right above my reply.;)

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
    ***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation