cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Windows 7 upgrade disc fails on hp a6720y with corrupt JRAID.SYS file, corrupt JGOGO.SYS file

HP Recommended

I'm trying to upgrade an HP Pavillion a6720y from Vista Home Premium 64 to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 via the official HP upgrade disc I ordered a few years ago. Each time it tries to boot into Win7 for the first time it fails on the file "JRAID.SYS". I have 3 internal drives on SATA1 (boot) and SATA2 (data) and a DVD-ROM on SATA3 and an external USB drive, interface in BIOS is (and was) set to RAID (though they're not mirrired or striped, just separate drives). I found a newer version of JRAID.SYS and installed it, but now it fails on "JGOGO.SYS" (says file is missing or corrupt). My current version of Vista is using the identical version of JGOGO.SYS that Win7 installls and says is corrupt.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was finally able to get the HP Windows 7 Upgrade disc to work. For anyone else with this problem here's how I did it:

• The issue with the JRAID.SYS & JGOGO.SYS files is because my HP desktop came with the BIOS set to RAID under SATA interface. Although I added more hard disks I didn't use an array (JBOD) so I needed to change the SATA interface from RAID to AHCI.
  • Unfortunately if you just try changing the BIOS setting to AHCI neither Windows Setup nor Vista will boot, it will just hang, so leave the BIOS set to RAID or if you tried changing it reboot and change it back to RAID.
  • Now reboot into your old OS (Vista), and open a DOS box (cmd window). Then enter the following commands exactly:

REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci /v Start /d 0 /f /t REG_DWORD

REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi /v Start /d 0 /f /t REG_DWORD

Not sure if you need to do this step (it stops JRAID from loading) but I did it and it worked:

REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\jraid /v Start /d 4 /f /t REG_DWORD

• Now reboot and choose Windows Setup as your OS. The Windows 7 upgrade should now continue ok.

However, I then ran into the following problem: Windows 7 Setup cannot find the image.wim file even though, after rebooting back into Vista, the file appears to be there and identical to the copy on the upgrade DVD. The issue seems to be that some optical DVD drives don't transfer huge files correctly (the image.wim file is 3.7GB!) even though they don't give any error messages. If you get this error do the following:

• Google wintoflash.com and download the free app.
  • Use it to image the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD to a USB flash drive (must be at least 4GB or larger). Remove any files from the flash drive first as it will be reformatted. Now just run setup.exe from the flash drive instead of from the DVD. The Windows 7 upgrade install should now proceed without error.

Hope this helps (took me several days of web searching to figure all this out!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forgot to add, I also had issues with getting Windows 7 to update for the first time. The updates (over 130 of them) would proceed for a while then seem to hang for hours. I downloaded the Windows 7 SP1 from Microsoft (make sure you choose the right version, 32 or 64 bit) and installed it first. It takes a while to install but it eventually finished ok. I then rebooted and installed the necessary Windows Updates in groups of five or six instead of all at once. Don't know if I needed to do that but they all eventually installed ok.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, I realized I left out a step in the above procedure. After you do the registry edits in Vista and reboot, you must:

• Enter the BIOS setup and now change the SATA interface setting from RAID to AHCI
  • Exit the BIOS setup saving all changes

Now when your PC reboots it should be configured correctly. You can let it boot into Vista just to be sure, or just choose Windows Setup and the Windows 7 install should now proceed as I said.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation