Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 20 (81,455 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 8.1 IDT High Definition Audio Codecfor P7-1421 Driver Missing

I installed Windows 8.1 on my P7-1421 Pavilion desktop PC on Thursday and now have no sound.  A phone call to HP customer support was unsuccessful in solving my problem, as the rep said HP has no Windows 8.1 IDT High Definition Audio Codec driver for my machine.  Does anyone know if there's a Windows 8.1 audio driver for my PC or if I have a solution other than going back to Windows 8?

Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Re: Windows 8.1 IDT High Definition Audio Codecfor P7-1421 Driver Missing

You're most welcome.

Sorry that didn't work either.

Did you try auto updating the driver from the device in the device manager?

See this thread where another forum member stated he upgraded his PC to W8.1 with the IDT audio chip and he got the driver from Microsoft.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-Software-Recovery/can-HP-model-number-h8-1414-computer-be-upgraded-from/m-p/3036815#M74043

If that doesn't work...

Just for kicks, see if this generic W7 driver one from Intel works...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19282&keyword=IDT+audio&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng

If not, then I guess you'll have to wait as you said, until a driver is released for W8.1.

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 20 (81,446 Views)

Hi:

I don't see any desktop IDT audio drivers for W8.1 out there but I did find one from this new HP business notebook.

Maybe you would want to give it a try. It was listed under the W8.1 driver section and does have a very recent date.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5379212&sp...

Top Student
Message 3 of 20 (81,445 Views)

Hi.  Thanks very much for the speedy reply.  Unfortunately the install didn't work, and I received a message that my PC's hardware isn't supported by the driver.  But I greatly appreciate your message and searching on my behalf, Paul.

Provost
Message 4 of 20 (81,427 Views)

You're very welcome.

Sorry that didn't work but it was worth giving it a shot.

If the HP support tech didn't have you try the following, see if this will work...

Download and run the W8 IDT audio driver from your PC's support and driver page.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=cp-110562-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Close out of any error windows if you get any.

Now, go to the device manager and click on the multimedia audio controller needing drivers.

Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse My Computer for Driver Software and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp58818.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

Top Student
Message 5 of 20 (81,426 Views)

Thanks very much, Paul.   I went through the steps and received a message that the latest driver is installed.  It would appear that my only hope (if I want to stay with 8.1) is that HP or their supplier will post a new driver soon.  Based on the views of "No Sound in 8.1" posts in the forums, I'm far from the only one wrestling with this, too!

Provost
Message 6 of 20 (81,423 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're most welcome.

Sorry that didn't work either.

Did you try auto updating the driver from the device in the device manager?

See this thread where another forum member stated he upgraded his PC to W8.1 with the IDT audio chip and he got the driver from Microsoft.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-Software-Recovery/can-HP-model-number-h8-1414...

If that doesn't work...

Just for kicks, see if this generic W7 driver one from Intel works...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19282&keyword=IDT+audio&DownloadType...

If not, then I guess you'll have to wait as you said, until a driver is released for W8.1.

Top Student
Message 7 of 20 (81,404 Views)

You figured it out!  The solution was to install the Windows 7 driver from the link you provided, and then to go to Windows Update and install the Windows 8 driver update that wouldn't install with W8.1.  When you install the W7 driver you don't hear anything, but it does show the presence of an audio device.  The update then provides sound.  Thank you!  You saved me from going back to out-of-the-box restore status and reinstalling everything. :)

Provost
Message 8 of 20 (81,402 Views)

You're very welcome.

Glad I was able to help you get that pesky audio driver installed.

Top Student
Message 9 of 20 (81,398 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're a life saver.  No Coast Guard pun intended!

Provost
Message 10 of 20 (81,395 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation