Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
WaqasKhalid Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 8.1 for HP Z240

HP Z240

Dear Support Team,

I want to procure HP Z240 workstation for  one of my project. The online datasheet shows that it comes up with only Windows 7 or Windows 10. But my system requirement is with Windows 8.1. Can HP Z240 haedware allows me to use it with Windows 8.1, if I purchase windows seperatley.

Regards

Waqas Khalid

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
14043 1328 3148
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 8.1 for HP Z240

WaqasKhalid

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

It's generally a BAD idea to replace the preinstalled OS on a prebuilt PC with a different version. This is because the preinstalled PC comes with the proper OEM drivers for the hardware included on the motherboard and with the PC.

While there's nothing stopping you from installing Win8.1 on this PC, there are no HP Win8x drivers for it.

And, although the Win10 drivers SHOULD work, there is no guarantee that they will. You might have to end up installing them in Compatiblity mode to get them to work, and even then, they might not.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
62 1 6
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 8.1 for HP Z240

Although not offered preinstalled, Windows 8.1 x64 (Professional and Enterprise edition) is in fact a "supported" operating system on this model.  Drivers and sofware are avialable for download from HP support portal.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
784 34 78
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 8.1 for HP Z240

that is correct. I believe Windows 10 Professional EULA allows a downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1. You would have to pbtain a Windows 8.1 media. Once that is done, download the network driver from the web (if Windows does not have a native driver for it) and then use Softpaq Download Manager (www.hp.com/go/sdm) to install ALL other drivers needed

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation