Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 5
296 271 4 20
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Windows 8.1 problems

HP Recommended

Someone nearby asked me to help her print a file from her laptop with Windows 8.1.  Before I gave up, I found these problems with 8.1:

The user interface is  VERY different from all the previous Windows  versions I've worked.   The low level commands I looked for were either very well hidden or not there at all.

There was no Help icon for starting a program to show how to do things not found through the other icons.

I could not find any program to display the  contents of directories.

I could not find any way to tell it to connect to the Internet through a nearby wireless router.

When I told it to add a printer, it said it couldn't find any, even though it was about two feet away from an HP printer using a wireless cv onnection.

I've been working with various computers and operating systems since the 1970s.  If that is not enough background to make a new version of Windows work, I recommend that you avoid that version until Microsoft offers a better interface to make it work, and you actually find that interface working on someone else's computer you try.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
83,835 83,726 10,534 22,583
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for many discussion points. I don't know the reason(s) behind Microsoft but for many big organisations / organizations this would cost them millions, millions of dollars if they switched to Windows 8 . Personnaly I don't think they will do this. Same as when moving from Office 2003 to Office 2007, the re-training cost was very high and still counting. Windows 8.1 is much better than Windows 8 BUT upgrading a machine from Windows 8 (pre-installed) to Windows 8.1 is a big adventure. After few hours a machine can die or many in/out components won't work.

Not just Microsoft, Apple's done the same thing for its 10.9. Just talking about PRINTERs alone, how many people are screaming for new drivers !

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation