cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Willx96 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 2
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 8.1 stuck on "please wait" after update

Hello. I recently got a new hp all in one 23-p010 about 2 weeks ago, and i have run into a problem. Last night i was getting ready for bed so i pressed update and shut down, and windows began to update and shut down like normal. The next morning, i turn it on it and i see the hp logo, then as its booting i see a blue sceen with the word "please wait". Now this has happened before but it leaves in seconds so i thought it was normal, however it has been hours and the screen has not disappeared. I cannot boot into my computer. I have tried shut downs but nothing. I really could use some help here. Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,554 2,316 169 524
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you shut down your PC while Windows update was running?

If so, that may be what caused this problem. Win 8.x has a feature where two or more hard shutdowns after a failed boot will start the Advanced Recovery Environment for troubleshooting. You can also start this environment at boot. Please see here.  Refer to "Starting a recovery when Windows does not start correctly".

Did you create a USB Microsoft Recovery Drive? Did you create a Custom Refresh Image or a system image? You can use the Windows recovery environment to restore either image. You can also use Microsoft System Restore if you have it enabled.

Have you created an HP Recovery disc set or USB Recovery drive? If the Windows recovery options fail you can boot to HP's recovery discs or USB and do a factory restore.

Jaco

****I am not an HP employee****

Please give a" Kudos, Thumbs Up" if advice received is relevant or" Accept as Solution" to assist other forum users having a similar problem.

HP Products:
810-150se Desktop (Win 8.1)
17t-j000 Notebook (Win 8 upgraded to Win 8.1)
H8 1380t CTO Desktop (Win 7)
560z Desktop (Win 7)

Other PC's:
Dell Inspiron Notebook (Win XP upgraded to Win 7)
Custom build: (Win XP upgraded to Win 7)

0 Kudos
Willx96 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 2
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I never saw it say shutting down after it was installing the updates. When it started updating, i left the room to get something to eat. I came back and i saw my pc was off so i figured it was done. I made a recovery drive on my bros pc, who also has windows 8.1 64 bit, but when i put it in my pc, it won't read it and it will instead just go back to the please wait sceen. I also tried pressing the f keys during boot, but it only froze my computer. This is really bad.
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,554 2,316 169 524
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

That is not good.

Shut down. Pull power cord from AC outlet then depress power button for five seconds or so.

Power back up and see if you can access "F keys". If you can access function keys then see here for instructions on running hardware tests. Select "Testing using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)".

You may have some type of hardware problem. Check connections for keyboard and mouse.

Contact HP Support if you cannot use the function keys. I believe your system may have to be examined by an HP technician.

Jaco

0 Kudos
Willx96 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 2
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've tried pulling the power cord from the ac outlet and pressing the power button for 10 seconds. Now it says "getting windows ready dont turn off your computer". This happened yesterday but it stood stuck there too.

The freeze with the f keys has been there ever since i got the computer. I tried to press it and it froze, so i never pressed it again.

The only way i see to access the start up options is by going to pc settings on the computer, but i can't access it, so im most likely screwed.
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,554 2,316 169 524
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Contact HP ASAP. If the refund/exchange window is open then take it back to th retailer.

You have a hardware problem.

Jaco

Willx96 Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 2
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok i will. Thanks for the help Jaco.
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,554 2,316 169 524
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Return to retailer if refund/exchange is available.

Jaco

0 Kudos
Axemwa Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fast and Easy fix for people who are experiencing this issue (BUT THIS FIX ONLY APPLICABLE TO NVIDIA USERS) and it's good to know for nVidia Shield and Shadowplay Users, as you may think that you will have to put up with this "Please Wait..." message taking forever in order to keep using the nVidia Streamer Service which is required for nVidia Shield and ShadowPlay etc. (cause for me this nVidia Streamer Service was definately what was causing the massive Please Wait... Waiting Delay. After changing 1 simple setting I was amazed, first fix I found/made myself through research, I haven't seen a fix like mine on the web yet, well not for nVidia users anyway atleast).

That’s right you don't have to put up with that please wait.. WAITING..... YOU CAN in fact have the Please Wait message reduce back to its normal loading time whilst still having the nVidia streamer Service active, using my method the nVidia Streamer service will have a delayed start which means it will load automatically right after all of your other normal and custom services have loaded, if not right after, not too long after.

In all should only take 2-3 mins for the nVidia Streamer service to start by itself giving you access to the nVidia Shield and ShadowPlay still, my method is much a much better solution than just putting up with it and trying to bootup with the please wait screen and the nVidia Streamer service at the same time (which is what I think it's doing, making it glitch/load slow or whatever), or going without the nVidiaStreamer Service (nVidia Shield and Shandowplay) just so you can have a fast boot up which is what some people do bugger that I'm glad I found this fix and will explain what I found that worked for me and hopefully it will resolve your issue too with the "Please Wait..." message after starting the computer and taking like 5-10 minutes longer than what it should to load or what evs.

After doing a bit of research a recent update that you may have done for nvidia graphics drivers etc, (whether via nvidia or windows update download) may have updated your NVIDIA Streamer Service Startup type setting to Automatic instead of Automatic (Delayed). To fix this either click start and type services.msc or click Start then run and type services.msc then press ENTER.

(NOTE: Services can also be accessed by right clicking on My Computer or This Pc for Windows 8 users, then Manage/Management Settings). Once you're in Services.msc scroll down to NVIDIA Streamer Service and right-click on it, then go to properties and select Automatic (Delayed) in the dropdown box if it was set to Automatic beforehand, which for me it was.

After that, click on Apply, then restart your computer and hopefully should boot up like normal (much quicker) and NVIDIA Streamer Service should also now start shortly after all other services have been loaded because we changed the startup type to delayed easy as pie hope it works for you.

From Shane. Peace. I hope you liked my fix.

ritabeard Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Jaco- My HP Pavilion 21 is about 15 months old. It too was getting frozen on please wait. I pulled the power cord and held the start button for 5 seconds. This worked for me too. Thank You SO much! Rita
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation