cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Maetrix
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Windows 8 Activation Failing after Factory Reset

HP Recommended
Envy H8 PC h8-1414
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I've search the forums and seen several posts that have similar issues, but all seemed to be resolved using steps I've already taken. 

I'm helping a friend fix his h8-1414. Originally came with Windows 8.0 and was eventually upgraded to Windows 10.  At some point after the Windows 10 upgrade, the video card died and he replaced it with newer Radeon card.  Since that time he's had issues with Windows 10 - to the point that it crashed and wouldn't boot. 

To resolve the issue and "start fresh" I backed up his files and did a system restore (complete reset). 

At the end of the reinstallation (of Windows 😎 I got some kind of error saying that Windows was unable to complete installation and to reboot to complete installation.  I did that and things seemed to work fine.  I got to the Windows 8 desktop only to discover that Windows 8 won't activate.

I double-checked and I reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings back to factory default and followed the procedure above one more time - just to make sure there wasn't some kind of Legacy Mode issue.  But I've had the same results...Windows will not activate.

Control Panel > Windows Activation shows "Current edition" as Windows 8 and Current product key as "*****-8FDHT".  But says Windows isn't activated.

In the Activation details I see error code 0xC004C003 and a message that says "The activation sever determined the specified product key has been blocked."

Would changing the video card from the OEM video card invalidate my Windows Activation key?  If so, how do I resolve this? 

Microsoft has pushed me back to HP and is adamant they can do nothing to activate my copy of Windows 8.

Any idea how to unblock the key so I can activate Windows 8 and reinstall WIndows 10 on his computer?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,737 24,388 2,848 10,426
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Maetrix, welcome to the forum.

I don't know why MS is telling you to come to HP.  The Product Key for Win 8 is embedded in the BIOS at the request of MS.  HP does not have the ability to Activate any OS.  Changing the video card shouldn't have anything to do with the problem.  However, who knows what the activation software take into consideration.  I suggest contacting MS again to see if you get a Customer Rep who will help you.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Any idea how to unblock the key so I can activate Windows 8 and reinstall WIndows 10 on his computer?

See:  https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-request-a-new-windows-product-key-2624936

for how to obtain a new license-key for Windows 8, apparently for only $10 US.

But, if the computer has been running Windows 10, Microsoft gave you a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows 10, at any time, at no cost, thus bypassing an "intermediate" step of installing Windows 8.

From: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

download Windows 10, and write the file to one USB memory-stick or a few DVD-recordable disks.

Boot your computer from the media.

When prompted to enter the 25-character product-key, click "I do not have ...".

When you go online, your entitlement will be activated, and Windows will activate.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation