cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Alaskagriz
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Windows 8 on HP Pavilion Ultimate d4996t

HP Recommended

I am currently running Windows Vista 32-bit on my HP Pavilion Ultimate d4996t.  This was the software operating system that came on my computer when I ordered it new in 2007.  I would like to upgrade to Windows 8 and would like to know if my hardware/firmware will support this new 64-bit operating system.  The max memory is 8 GB for a 64-bit OS.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,073 119,251 19,471 29,755
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at the hardware that could come in your PC, it should be able to run the 64 bit version of W8.

My recommendation is to download and run the W8 upgrade assistant first.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Turn all you peripherals on (printer, scanner, etc).

Those are more likely not to be supported in windows 8 than your PC is.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> My recommendation is to download and run the W8 upgrade assistant first.

Did you try that software?  Results?

0 Kudos
Alaskagriz
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried the W7 update assistant.  I was told to update my Intel Network driver for my network cark.  Then I contacted Intel who told me that there is no driver for Windows 10.  So I figured I could put in a new network card that would accept a Windows 10 driver ..... and I would be good to go.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I tried the W7 update assistant. 

> I was told to update my Intel Network driver for my network cark. 

The suggestion was to run the 'W8' upgrade assistant.

> I contacted Intel who told me that there is no driver for Windows 10.  

No driver from the Intel web-site, or no driver embedded on the Windows 10 installation disk?

0 Kudos
Alaskagriz
Author
Level 1
10 7 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Got it!  I'm following up.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation